Thread: Fanus 21i on a clausing/storm lathe

radically machine design Guest

Default Fanus 21i on a clausing/storm lathe

We have a lathe here at work that every time it is shut off it looses position(i was told the battery was changed with contro lft on), and to top it all off when you try to g28 the machine it wants to send the turret through the back of the machine.
    Has anyone ever experienced this with a fanuc 21 i, and if so what the heck did you do to fix it .
    thanx

Thanks

Default Re: Fanus 21i on a clausing/storm lathe

What alarm are you getting when you power on the machine?
    Cody Stamper

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of cnc-professional-forum.com and its management)

That's the weird thing, when the lathe gets fired up it just boots up and no alarm.
    It does shut itself off about 60 seconds after you power up , then it comes back on by itself and you can start setting up .
    i'm stumped

Thanks

Does the axis drop when power is shut off?

Thanks

Which axis?
    Cody Stamper

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of cnc-professional-forum.com and its management)

We cant tell if the axis is dropping, both axis will read zero everytime the machine is fired up no mater where it is positioned.
    Both x and z axis have really high numbers (from home)and they change every time you turn it on .The other day the x was saying that it was like 115 inches from home and the z was around 65 inches or so( it is a very short bed) and you cant home the damn thing.
    Thanks for the replies it is much appreciated!!
    Last edited by radically machine design; 04-18-09 at 06:28 PM.

Thanks

It sounds like either the batteries were incorrectly replaced, or you have a parameter set incorrectly, or a combination of both.

It is possible to run the Fanuc motors in incremental mode (not talking about G91) at start up. If the batteries are incorrectly installed(dead, or not properly connected) the amps will act in incremental at start-up, but this setup is typically used on machines that have limit switches for home position.

With that being said if it was only the batteries you should be getting a battery alarm, and an alarm saying "Nth axis battery dead", "Nth axis need zrn".

I'd guess that a parameter has been changed by accident. I would take a back up of the current parameters and any parameter backups you've made(hopefully you've made some) and I'd run them in a side by side comparison. If you don't have any way to do a file compare, go to http://www.scootersoftware.com and download the Beyond Compare trial.

I'd almost be willing to bet that something has been changed.
    Cody Stamper

Thanks

check parameters 1815

Thanks

The parameter alexfanuc posted is the correct one. I was having network issues earlier and didn't get to edit my post.

1815 APC will most likely be a 0 and causing the motors to operate in incremental mode from what you're describing.
    Cody Stamper

Default Re: Fanuc 21i on a clausing/storm lathe

Again , thank you for the replies fella's.
    I am not sure if anyone has made a back up of the parameter files( really dont think so) but i will try and see if 1815 is a zero. This machine has apparently been like this for years and i find it hard to believe that it cant be fixed so it works properly.
    Is there an outline for resetting this 1815 parameter for the 21 i control?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by radically machine design View Post
    Is there an outline for resetting this 1815 parameter for the 21 i control?
    If the machine was originally set up to run the motors in absolute then 1815 APC should be set to 1. If this bit is set to 1 you should also have batteries installed on the amplifiers to store the position at power down. If you set this and the batteries aren't installed or are dead you should get a battery alarm. The only way you wouldn't need batteries is if you have glass scales installed on the machine also.

What you would do from here is find the Z and X axis home positions and jog to those points. This machine may have alignment arrows stamped somewhere along the axis travels to line up to for zero. Since you said that the machine was throwing an alarm trying to jog since it had such a high number in the position display, Go to parameter 1320 and 1321. Write down the values in both of these for x and z. These are your overtravel parameters. Change 1320 to 9999999, and 1321 to-9999999.

Once you get to your zero position go to parameter 1815 APZ and change it to a 0. As soon as you change this bit to 0 you will get an alarm telling you to power down the machine. Ignore it, go back to 1815 APZ and change it back to a 1. Now power off the control at the main, wait for one minute, turn the control back on. The control should have flagged the position as 0 and you should be able to home the machine.

Change 1320 and 1321 back to their original settings!

If you're still having trouble after looking at this, post the part number off of the Fanuc drive and the motor number if possible, as well as a copy of the parameters and I'll take a look at them.
    Cody Stamper

The machine basically tries to throw the turret throught the back of the machine when g28 u0w0 is tried, butyou can still jog the turret around both axis.
    Is this the same as for setting the parameter on the 16i,18i, the one that is posted on here or is the setting a little different for the 21i ?
    Is it the actuall "# 4 " shown here i would change? (76543210).
    Thanx, i will take a peak at it tommorrow hopefully this is all thats wrong!

Zero Return parameter setting procedure for Fanuc 16/18 and 16i/18i Controls
    Move the axis to where you think zero return should be. If you can't get to the position you would like hold in "P" and "Cancel" on power up to bypass soft overtravels or you could change the soft overtravel limits to temporarily. WARNING- Do not try holding in any other keys except P and Cancel. You could blow out parameters, programs or other data.
    Select "MDI" mode

Press the function key “OFFSET SETTING”
    Press the soft key “SETTING”.
    Move the cursor to “PARAMETER WRITE” . May need to page up or down to get to the top of the Parameter numbers.
    Turn on PWE (Parameter Write) make it a 1

Press the function Hard key "SYSTEM"
    Press the softkey "PARAM"
    Type1815 and press "No.Search" . This should bring up parameter 1815.
    Arrow down to whichever axis you want to change X,Y,or Z.

Change bit 4 (APZ) (make sure you count from the right starting with first space is Zero, Bits are as shown here-76543210). This will delete the current reference zero. Alarm must power down will appear, DO NOT POWER OFF

Go back to the parameter 1815 and make bit 4 a one

Power off machine for one minute and power up. New home position will be set.

Check coordinates of program and see how far you are off if they are not correct repeat steps. Also make sure you handwheel the axises slowly to there overtravels and make sure nothing binds no servo alarms occur or destroys any way covers If you set incorrectly severe damage can occur. Also remember if this is an axis that the pallet changer or Tool changer is dependant on alignment then you must check this also because it is based off of zero return. Do not change 2nd reference position to comp for this. Always change home position.

Petro
    Last edited by radically machine design; 04-19-09 at 04:50 PM. Reason: added

Thanks

The procedure works on 21i as well. 1815.4 should both be ones when home is set. Parameter 1815.5 should always be a one. If you have zero return switches then on power up 1815.4 may be zero until first zero return. Does the Z-axis when homing normally decel? Watch how 815 works with Z since that seems to work correctly. If 1815.1 is a 1 then you have scales on this machine, but probably unlikely.

Thanks

Radically machine design,

First, check is parameters 1815#4 and #5 saty in 1. If no, all times that you turn on the machine you need make the reference position. Second, check in the motor, has an red caps and in this red cap has an code. Send to us this code. If is alpha A ...., for example, the encoder is absolute, if no Alpha A, you need make the reference position all times.

Daniel