Thread: RS232 FANUC OT TROUBLE

Thanks

Default RS232 FANUC OT TROUBLE

I HAVE A FEMCO LATHE HL-25, WITH A FANUC OT CONTROL.
    I AM USING BOBCAD 22 (USES PREDATOR COMMUNICATION SOFTWARE) TO PROGRAM THIS MACHINE. I CAN NOT GET THE PC TO TALK WITH THE CNC.
    WIRED AS -- CNC 25 PIN-------25 PIN PC
    2------------3
    3------------2
    4------------5
    5------------4
    7------------7
    JUMPERED@CNC

I AM GETTING A ALARM ON CONTROL 086 (DR SIGNAL OFF)
    HOW CAN I TEST THE CONTROL?

ALSO SOFTWARE HAS MANY SETUP VARIABLES AND I AM GUESSING AT SOME OF THEM 4800 BAUD
    PARITY EVEN
    DATA 7
    STOP 2
    SOFTWARE OR HARDWARE?
    WAIT FOR CNC?
    RTS ?
    DTR?
    SEND CR/LF?
    RECEIVE CR/LF?

GROWING FRUSTRATED WITH JOB WAITING, ANY HELP MUCH APPRECIATED
    CHUCK

Thanks

CWIND,

Try this cable: (25 to 25 pin)

2 ----------- 3
    3 ----------- 2
    7 ----------- 7
    4 jump 5
    6 jump 8 jump 20 (both sides)

What software you are using ???

Best Regards

Daniel

Thanks

SOFTWARE IS BOBCAD 22 WHAT ABOUT THE ALARM ISSUE? IF THE CABLE IS WRONG WOULD THAT TRIP THE ALARM OR IF THE CABLE IS NOT CONNECTED WOULD THAT TRIP THE ALARM?

Thanks

CWIND,

If the cable is wrong, the alarm is present. DR signal is the pin 6 (DATA READY). When you jump 6 / 8 and 20, you are jumping "DATA READY" with "DATA RECEVEID" and "EQUIPAMENT READY".

Daniel

Thanks

I'm still not able to transmit. I've tried changing i/o ports on the machine, and software set up options at the PC but still no luck. basically the trial and error method. still get 086 alarm @machine when either attempting to punch or read. I checked for a optional rs232 jack in machine back cabinent, but none. traced rs232 cabling(in control) to m74 honda plug on fanuc board. what am I not doing correctly? Ive tried both cabling types- 2to3, 3to2, 7to7, 4to5, 5to4, jumper6-8-20 both sides----or----the same but jumper 4and5 on both sides. alarm trips as soon as I push read on the machine.

Thanks

The 086 alarm is a DR signal off. This means that it is not seeing a connection. I would suspect that your cable is wrong or your device I/O settings are not correct. This alarm I typically get when I forget to plug my cable to the machine or PC.

Here is what I got for the O series control that I use.

CNC SETTINGS PAGE
    ISO=1(0:EIA 1:ISO)
    I/O=0(0:port0, 1:port1)

PARAMETER SETTINGS
    0002=1XXXX0X1
    0038=1010XXXX
    0055=XXXXX000
    0070=0XXXXXXX
    0552=10(BAUDRATE)
    =8 FOR 1200
    =9 FOR 2400
    =10 FOR 4800
    =11 FOR 9600
    ** X means no relation to RS232

PC SETTINGS
    4800 BAUDRATE(MUST MATCH CNC SETTINGS)
    2 STOP BITS
    ISO CODE
    EVEN PARITY
    DATA LENGTH=7 BITS
    CONTROL CODES (XON/ XOFF USED)
    LF FOR END OF BLOCK

Cable pin out guide

Shell For 9 pin serial on PC
    RJ45 DB9
    Yellow 3-----------5
    Green 4-----------8
    Red 5-----------2
    Orange 7-----------7
    Blue 8-----------3

Shell For 25 pin serial on CNC
    RJ45 DB25
    Yellow 3-----------7
    Green 4-----------4
    Red 5-----------2
    Orange 7-----------5
    Blue 8-----------3

6-----
    8----- Jumper together
    20----

Stevo
    (The opinions in this post are my own and not those of machinetoolhelp.com and its management)

Thanks

Stevo, still not transmitting. I am positive that I have the cabling correct(just to be sure I installed new rj45 cable and db25 and db9 adapters, I could darn near do it blind folded now) my question is this I have had 6,8&20 jumpered @ the machine all along and I get the 086 alarm. if 6 is data ready signal then could the problem be in the control? because should'nt the control see the signal because of the jumper. Is it necessary for 6,8 & 20 (or any db9 pins?)to be jumpered at he pc end? my chart says no. If I have a control issue is there a way to test it? I checked the parameters and reset according to your suggestions. Parameter #0055 had xxxxx001 for "ascii"-I changed it to xxxxx000 for "iso". #0038 had 1000xxxx changed to 1010xxxx wich turns channel 2 to rs232 none of this made any difference. Chuck

Thanks

I copied this from another thread in a different forum were we have been trouble shooting a OM control. I am by no means taking credit for this response. I am just trying to help out. This is from Mr. Fritz. He's always got the answers when it comes to communication. I hope it helps.

I would have posted the link but I don't know the rules here in this forum about posting other forum links.

Try this cable configuration:

Fanuc side (25-pin) ----------- PC side (9-pin)

pin 1 ----------- cable shield
    pin 2 ------------------------------ pin 2
    pin 3 ------------------------------ pin 3
    pin 5 ------------------------------ pin 7
    pin 7 ------------------------------ pin 5
    pin 6 and pin 8 -------------------- pin 4

I've seen a few of the faster Fanuc CNCs do this. Normally, a jumper from 6 to 8 to 20 on the Fanuc side does the trick, but tying pin 6 and 8 on the Fanuc side to pin 4 on the PC side is more reliable. Also, if you jumper pins 4 to 5 on the Fanuc side, the Fanuc will be able to send data to "outer space" even if the PC is not ready. I recommend tying pin 5 on the Fanuc to pin 7 on the PC to prevent this. The Fanuc can't send data without a signal on pin 5, so if the PC isn't ready, you can't be fooled into thinking your program is saved when it isn't.

When (any) Fanuc tries to send or receive, it opens the serial port which turns on pins 4 (RTS) and 20 (DTR). It then checks to see if pin 6 (DR) and pin 8 (CD) are both on. If they are not, you get an alarm. Problem is, sometimes with the new, faster processors, the Fanuc turns on pin 20, then checks the status of pins 6 and 8 TOO FAST. Tying pins 6 and 8 to DTR on the PC side (pin 4), which is held high long before you try to punch/read on the Fanuc, should solve that timing problem. The fact that you're getting the alarm when you try to read, but not when you try to punch points to the possibility that its a timing problem.

These Fanucs will hardware handshake using RTS/CTS when they SEND data to the PC, but will only do Xon/Xoff handshaking when they receive. Kind of funky, but that's the way Dr Inaba made them.
    (The opinions in this post are my own and not those of machinetoolhelp.com and its management)

Thanks

Default Fanuc 0 Comms

Check out the setup configuration i've uploaded in word format.....it's the only and correct way to go.

Lionel

Thanks

Wink Communication problems

Sometimes you may find that the rs232 chips, located on the mem board or the masterboard, depending on the model, have blown and cease to function anymore.
    There are 2 transmit and 2 receive i.c's, which may have to be replaced.
    The i.c's cost @ £2.80 each and bases are pennies.
    Cut out the legs as close to the i.c. body as possible. (this allows the holding of the leg whilst de-soldering)
    Solder in the new dil bases making sure they're oriented properly.....fanuc usually pattern the orientation on the board.
    Plug in the new rs232 i.c's

Done this several times and it's always worked!

Good luck, if you attempt this!!

Lionel

bluedemon Guest

Default RS232 Voltage

Maybe not related but worth mentioning. We have trouble communicating to machines with new pc's as the RS232 Voltage is not to spec and only suffecient to allow it to talk to other computers.

I was told to buy an actual board and it would have the proper voltage.

cheers

AndyAndersson Guest

Default Re: RS232 FANUC OT TROUBLE

ALARM ON CONTROL 086 (DR SIGNAL OFF)
    It's not a software or setup problem - it's electrical.

That error would be caused if the link 6-8-20 was missing. The DR signal comes out of Pin20 and goes into Pins6 and 8 - Pin 20 is an output and if pin 6/8 don't feel an input it assumes the cable is unplugged and throws the DR error.

Historically the link would go from pin 20 on the PC allowing RS232 devices to 'feel' each other - that the other device is present and powered up. But there are often not enough wires in the cable to do that so that short 6-8-20 link became more common. Basically allowing the CNC to 'feel' itself

If you're sure that your 6-8-20 link is intact (please double/double check that link) then take a voltmeter and check for a voltage on pin 20. You should see a voltage around 9 to 12v (or minus 12v) on that pin. If you don't then the driver chip on the RS232 board is duff. If it is duff then you can take the signal from the PC instead - Link pin 20 of the PC to pins 6 and 8 at the CNC like we did in the gud ol days.

But if you do see a voltage on pin 20 then it looks as though the receiver chip on the RS232 mainboard is duff - in which case you're stuck.

CNC DNC Settings for Fanuc oi Fanuc0i
    easy Dnc Software. One DNC compatible with Windows95, 98, Me, Windows2000,XP and Windows Vista
    Last edited by AndyAndersson; 04-09-09 at 09:59 AM.

Thanks

Go with xavierdemoura's response. That's the config I ALWAYS use. I work in CNC field service on many different brands and model controls and this config has never failed me. If you use this pin to pin set up and still can't connect, then you have settings troubles within the control or the software you're using. Depending on the control/software the end of block amybe CR CR LS or CR LS or something to that effect. (CR=carriage return LS=line space)

Thanks

Cwind said:
    "traced rs232 cabling(in control) to m74 honda plug on fanuc board"

So the answer is there. Since he is using I/O port = 0 he is telling the FANUC control to use M5 plug on the memory board only that this connector is probably empty, alm 86 no connection!
    He might try to use I/O port = 2 but for this port he will have to use different parameters on the FANUC control.
    Did somebody change this cable from M5 to M74?
    Try changing the cable back from M74 to M5 and see what happens.