Thread: Fanuc system 6M Model B Accu-Mill

Thanks

Default Fanuc system 6M Model B Accu-Mill

Hello everyone
    we are having a issue with our mill. Just got it hooked up a few weeks ago and only two of us working with it at the current time. anyway it is able to run programs and in MDI we are just not able to use manual controls it only wants to go in a positive direction in rapid traverse or jog. Needless to say we have to leave it parked away from the relative home position when we shut it down or move it via the belts. Could this be a parameter? I havent found it in any of the manuals.

Thanks

Default Re: Fanuc system 6M Model B Accu-Mill

..."and in MDI we are just not able to use manual controls it only wants to go in a positive direction in rapid traverse or jog."...

In MDI you can not jog it, you have to be in JOG mode. Am I missing something here? If you are able to run programs in AUTO, you must be able to home return all axes prior to that, is it correct?

Being on MDI, are you able to execute commands like spindle speeds or tool changes?

Thanks

We are able to run in auto and in mdi when we toggle to handwheel nothing happens. Rapid travel , jog works in positive direction only. This makes setting up tools cumbersome but not impossible.
    Last edited by Dirtywiskers; 03-27-12 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Changed manual to hand wheel

Thanks

It almost sounds like you have an OT condition in the negative direction but you should be seeing an alarm. Most machines will only let you Jog/handwheel in the opposite direction of the OT.

Or are you saying that Handwheel does not work at all? Could be possible that you are missing some kind of switch that activates the handwheel?

Stevo
    (The opinions in this post are my own and not those of machinetoolhelp.com and its management)

Thanks

That's what I am saying the handwheel dosnt work at all. Can ony jog and rapid in a positive direction. I will look in the manual more. When I am on the reference points the only way off of them is with a program or mdi.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtywiskers View Post
    That's what I am saying the handwheel dosnt work at all. Can ony jog and rapid in a positive direction. I will look in the manual more. When I am on the reference points the only way off of them is with a program or mdi.

I have seen the likes of your issue a number of times, but its somewhat dependent on the type of hardware switches used for the manual traverse modes. Typically, many MTB used the same Joy Stick, or Button Set for Jog and Rapid, with the Jog or Rapid mode being selected via a common switch; frequently the rotary switch that also selects EDIT, TAPE, MEMORY etc. If this is the case with your machine, I would check the Switch or Button that would normally initiate movement in the Negative direction. First, the Switch/Button can be checked with a Multi Metre to determine if its changing state, then if it is, check the Relay that would normally switch when the Negative direction is selected. If you have the wiring schematic for the machine, you will be able to track the Relay down fairly easily.

I can't recall any parameters that would influence the machine in the way you have described, and the fact that the machine works under control conditions, I would be looking for hardware issues with the Switches and Relays. It is a bit of a coincidence, but the fact that the Hand Wheel doesn't work at all is not that surprising.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks

As Bill mentioned above, this seems to be a hardware issue, if it is a common trouble for all axis, it's even easier to disgnose/fix.

Depending on your skills, you can start by opening up the operator's panel with the machine's main power off, look for the rotary switches of the MODE function and AXIS SELECTOR (or similar). Clean them from behind with a good contact cleaner in spray form while actuating them several times. Look also for loose wires by pulling them just a bit directly at the switches' terminals.

In the 6M, diagnostics 032 ~ 050 can be used to monitor signals related to manual handle feed axis, jog & step feed axis select, overtravel switches, manual rapid traverse, etc.

Thanks

It is common on all 3 axis X,Y and Z. With machine in the middle of table with Z axis down from reference point as well. Can only move in positive direction. I am to busy with other jobs at the moment to try and take the panel apart and clean as you have suggested or check contacts. Will post some thing once I am caught back up a little and am able. I have looked at the diagnostics 032 ~ 050and the bits are changing like they should so once i have the chance to take the control panel off.

thank you for all the help.

=)
    Last edited by Dirtywiskers; 03-29-12 at 10:43 PM.

Thanks

OK I got a lab tech involved. On diagnostic page 2 #39 bit 7 needs to be a 1 ! anyway turns out its a faulty cable ER big bundle of wires protected by wire mesh covered in rubber. when I would open the door and position it correctly everything works. have a electrician going through the wires hopefully he gets it taken care of.