Thread: BobCAD CAM

Thanks

Default BobCAD CAM

Does anyone use BobCAD CAM Software to program their cnc machines?

Al

BobCAM Team Leader

Thanks

Default Re: BobCAD CAM

This video walks through the steps of opening a DXF file and moving the part to zero.

http://screencast.com/t/gsp2dmGlrW

This video walks you through the steps of cleaning up geometry and using layers to organize your part.

http://screencast.com/t/DmCb37GxcKne

This video walks you through the steps of drilling and tapping the holes for this sample drawing.

http://screencast.com/t/MobJSgYy

This video walks you through the steps of cutting the slots for this drawing. We are using the profile feature and contour ramping, which will ramp down to cut the slot out.

http://screencast.com/t/5nAZynCXsLj

This video walks through the steps of cutting the pockets. I show how you can use top of job to change where the tool starts cutting from. Using top of part settings is great for when you are cutting a pocket inside a pocket. This way you don’t cut air.

http://screencast.com/t/2f5ygHtwNAV

This video walks through the steps of cleaning up the walls of the pockets. I use the profile feature with side roughing. This allows the tool to walk into the wall and clear any extra stock that might have been left over.

http://screencast.com/t/Gs1OOnJGLE

This video walks through the steps of simulating your program and posting code.

http://screencast.com/t/8XhegHm5p8u

Question: If my simulation show the tools cutting in the wrong order, how do I change that?

Answer: The machining order can be set to ” individual tool ” or ” individual Feature”
    Watch this video to learn more: http://screencast.com/t/PA4z4205

Question: Why does the software call more than one tool when drilling a hole. What if I only want to call a drill, instead of a center drill, a drill and a chamfer tool?

Answer: We use tool patters to optimize hole making processes. The idea is to call and program all the tools need to make the kind of hole you want to make. You can customize the patters to fit your needs. Watch this video to learn how: http://screencast.com/t/0vkwZ8WgFd

Please let me know if anyone has questions or comments.

Al DePoalo
    BobCAM Team Leader

3. The Following User Says Thank You to aldepoalo For This Useful Post:

almarkone (07-26-12)

Thanks

Hi Al, a couple years back we picked up CAMv23 & Bob Art for a Hass TM. One of the machinist took your class and apparently it went right over his head. Now I'm a Geopath fan myself from way back but a guess I will watch all and try to pick this up. If not do you know when the next class's are scheduled for the Bay Area.
    Thanks, Bob

Thanks

Default BobCAD CAM Seminars

About BobCAD-CAM Seminars

Becoming a 100% professional BobCAD-CAM software operator has just been made easier to achieve! Each Training Seminar includes 3-days of complete CAD/CAM training. Every manufacturer that attends a Training Seminar is recognized and awarded with a “BobCAD-CAM Software Operator” certificate, after completing the class training instruction. Because we want your training experience to be the best that we can make it, we ask that you reserve your seats in advance as seating is limited.
    The price includes training only. All flights, hotel, food and miscellaneous expenses are the responsibility of the attendee.
    Information on local hotels, car rentals and restaurants are available as needed upon request. Discounted hotel rates are usually available when BobCAD-CAM is mentioned during reservation.

We offer 3-Day CAD-CAM Training Seminars at various locations around America.

Course Objective

This is to provide our BobCAD-CAM customers with an effective way to learn the software and become more knowledgeable and proficient in its use.
    Course Contents

Training on Version 24 CAD/CAM Mill software. Optional training on Lathe and Art for an additional fee per class, per night or per person.
    Meeting Place

The Training Seminar will be held in the conference room at a hotel near your city.
    Duration

3-Days from 8:30 AM to approximately 5:00 PM on days 1 & 2 and 7:30 AM to approximately 4:00 PM on day 3. Optional, additional Lathe & Art Classes available on the 1st & 2nd evenings
    Certification

Professional BobCAD-CAM software operator certificates are issued at the end of the 3-day training class.
    For large scale plant wide training, consider our on-site training solutions.
    Additional Information

Schedule a Training Seminar in a different location or request more information.
    Sign up for a seminar contact the training department directly at 877.262.2231 ext 127

http://www.bobcad.com/training/seminars

Thanks

Bob,

I posted some information on the seminars above. Please let me know if you have more information.

Al

Thanks

We purchased our BobCad software last year from a high pressure sales call. Promisses of ease of use and support abounded and that it would work with our Anilam controller. We quickly found that for some reason the software would not work on our XP computers. BobCad's response was that the problem resides with our computers. We have loaded several cad/cam programs since, all without issue. We requested several times for a post processor. Never received. BobCad contacted several times requesting a refund...no reply. We even filed a complaint with BBB and they did not even reply to the BBB.

My opinion is that this is a high pressure selling scheme as I continue to receive email from BobCad requesting me to purchase additional services. I don't think so!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lkindber For This Useful Post:

jameshickman (08-14-12)

Thanks

You know I am sorry to hear that about your account. If you PM me your information I can look into your account and sort things out.

1) BobCAD is supported on XP Vista & 7 , we are currently testing for 8

2) Post processors are free and can be downloaded off our website. If we do not have a post for your machine we will build your one. Also all users can edit the post for changes they may want.

About Post Processors

BobCAD-CAM provides standard Post Processors free of charge. Modified or Customized Post Processors are covered under our Technical Support Memberships. To view the available options please click here.
    A Post Processor is a unique “driver” specific to the CNC controller it’s intended to work with. The Post Processor controls the format of the G-code produced by BobCAD-CAM.
    For BobCAD-CAM to effectively run your CNC machine you must choose the proper post. Use the menu below to choose the correct post for the version of BobCAD-CAM software you have, and the machine controller you want to post to.
    BobCAD-CAM provides free Post Processors to all of it’s customers. There is no limit to the number of post you may download and use with your BobCAD-CAM software. We have many post configurations ready for download.

http://www.bobcad.com/downloads/post-processors

Thanks

I do not know who called from BobCad yesterday, but true to the experiences I have had with this company, no return phone number and the message was that I would receive a call back yesterday. It is the end of the day on Tuesday and no call!

This is apparently the BobCad way of customer support! This has happened in the past.

But...I have received several emails soliciting from BobCad soliciting the purchase of more products. A marketing scheme?

Thanks

No marketing scheme,

I called you yesterday and you were not available. I did leave a message that I called and why I was calling.

Like I said I want to sort out your account. I am going to call your office today, what is the best time to reach you?

Al DePoalo
    BobCAM Team Leader

Thanks

Al, I just started a job where they use bobcad V18. I have never used bobcad, and was looking for some learning aids. Checked the videos on youtube and they look very good. Problem is those videos are V24 and way differant than V18. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Mike

Thanks

We don't offer training videos for the V18. What you would want to do is use the V21 instead. I am sure you could get a free upgrade to V21 if you purchased the training videos for the V21.

Al

Thanks

Any idea what that would cost?
    Thanks,
    Mike

Thanks

PM me your contact information and I'll call you to talk about it.

Al

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aldepoalo View Post
    Does anyone use BobCAD CAM Software to program their cnc machines?

Al

BobCAM Team Leader
    I have been using BobCad/Cam for about 8 or 9 years to program my machine. V18 -21. I currently use 21. I own 24 but since it required a total relearn I have stuck with 21. It has treated me well

Thanks

Bill,

If there is anything I can do to help you make the transition to the V24 please let me know.

Is there something "topic" that you are really stuck on with the V24?

Al

I live in beautiful San Clemente, California
    Thanks

I have been a GibbsCam user for about 12 years and about 3 years ago my brother gave me a seat of BobCad V23 (a legal seat I might add). I have tried on several occasions to learn to use it but it just seems way too cumbersone compared to GibbsCam. Is the on line training for V23 like you show above for V24?

Thanks

Yes you can get on line training for the V23. The BobCAD CAM software is different from the Gibbs cam in many ways, so I understand why you would need the training. Also I would recommend trying the new V25 you might find it easier to work with. We changed the work flow and added a stock wizard and surface picking for 2D machining. You also can pick depths of pockets and profiles off the surface, kinda like Gibbs.

Just give our training department a call and I am sure they can help you out.

When it comes to BobCAD-CAM training, what better way than a training schedule that works for you; using your own parts, in the comfort of your own office, and extremely affordable for anyone.

Conveniently done in hourly increments around your schedule to minimize disruption of production

Live instruction on the computer and via telephone

Dedicated curriculum, customizable to focus on exact areas of the software to maximize efficiency

Available for BobCAD-CAM & BobCAM for SolidWorks™

Standard Cost: $150.00 per hour, and first time introductory rate’s available

http://www.bobcad.com/training/contact

Thanks

Yes you can get on line training for the V23. The BobCAD CAM software is different from the Gibbs cam in many ways, so I understand why you would need the training. Also I would recommend trying the new V25 you might find it easier to work with. We changed the work flow and added a stock wizard and surface picking for 2D machining. You also can pick depths of pockets and profiles off the surface, kinda like Gibbs.

Just give our training department a call and I am sure they can help you out.

When it comes to BobCAD-CAM training, what better way than a training schedule that works for you; using your own parts, in the comfort of your own office, and extremely affordable for anyone.

Conveniently done in hourly increments around your schedule to minimize disruption of production

Live instruction on the computer and via telephone

Dedicated curriculum, customizable to focus on exact areas of the software to maximize efficiency

Available for BobCAD-CAM & BobCAM for SolidWorks™

Standard Cost: $150.00 per hour, and first time introductory rate’s available

http://www.bobcad.com/training/contact
    $150.00 per hour? Are they out of their effing mind?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    $150.00 per hour? Are they out of their effing mind?

yeah while i love bobcad they are way too much about the money i have v 17 which they refuse to support and i cant afford to drop 500-1000$ every time they want to force an upgrade. v 17 dose all i need it to so i just muddle along with it for now.

Thanks

PM me your contact information and I'll call you to talk about it.

Al
    Why don't you post the prices here for all to see, or are your prices some closely guarded secret?

Thanks

Unhappy Re: BobCAD CAM

I have been looking for a free soft that will do simply sign designs like text and simply graphic to get started with we just purchased and cnc machine with cabinet making as the main output but would like to be able to create a few signs and send the info to the cnc machine. Everything I have found that had a free down load even if it was a trail it would not sent file to cnc machine. Help Please.

Thanks

Question Re: BobCAD CAM

i am currently using bobcad cam v24 and im trying to draw hole patterns but it wont recognize it as a profile i have a mazak L1 control that has been upgraded to a turbo 510need easier way to draw and convert to gcode
    and send to controller

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alpha View Post
    i am currently using bobcad cam v24 and im trying to draw hole patterns but it wont recognize it as a profile i have a mazak L1 control that has been upgraded to a turbo 510need easier way to draw and convert to gcode
    and send to controller
    First thing I would do is get rid of Bobcad.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carolinadesigner View Post
    I have been looking for a free soft that will do simply sign designs like text and simply graphic to get started with we just purchased and cnc machine with cabinet making as the main output but would like to be able to create a few signs and send the info to the cnc machine. Everything I have found that had a free down load even if it was a trail it would not sent file to cnc machine. Help Please.
    Sorry to say, big guy, but you won't find one. If it does say free, it'll be so watered down you won't get any real use out of it.

Have used BobCAD since the good ol' DOS days up to V19 but these newer versions are heading way off into the 3D market that our company just doesn't mess with. Afraid we're just going to have to let it go. Besides, pricing for it has headed up and has ran right outside our market limit.

Thanks

Well, I have been using it on and off for years now.
    Has Bob sobered up yet?

Thanks

Good morning Al,
    Here in Adelaide, Australia, I've recently purchased V25 with a 4th axis add-on, to run with Anilam600M. I have been using Licom and Delcam software in the UK. I've been having trouble Cad-ing Augers to be done on the 4th axis, and I haven't been able to work out the unwrapping for machining. Some advice would welcomed.
    Cheers.