Thread: fanuc 16 18 how to edit alarms and descriptions

Thanks

Default fanuc 16 18 how to edit alarms and descriptions

Hi there, I just managed to do my first ladder modification on a Fanuc 16 PMC, using the fapt Ladeer iii software. I used sdram cards to copy and save the new file, despite there's a way to do it online according to the software specs, connecting the laptop to the PMC via the serial port. So here comes my first question: does anyone know how to connect the fapt ladder software to the pmc? secondly, how can I import and change the system file, where the alarms and description address table is stored, is there another software available to edit such files?
    thanks a lot
    Alberto

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alberto
    Hi there, I just managed to do my first ladder modification on a Fanuc 16 PMC, using the fapt Ladeer iii software. I used sdram cards to copy and save the new file, despite there's a way to do it online according to the software specs, connecting the laptop to the PMC via the serial port. So here comes my first question: does anyone know how to connect the fapt ladder software to the pmc? secondly, how can I import and change the system file, where the alarms and description address table is stored, is there another software available to edit such files?
    thanks a lot
    Alberto
    To answer your first question: Do you have either an ethernet option, or RS232 port on your machine? If so then yes you can connect, and I can send you a procedure on how to get hooked up.

To answer your second question: When you decompile and open the PMC file on FAPT, towards the top of the programming list you will find two folders. One marked "Messages" the other marked "Symbol/Comment". You can change any messages and I/O descriptors from those two areas. You can also change their descriptors from within the PMC program. If you right click on any I/O (X, Y, A, E, F, R, G,..etc) within the program their will be a tab that says for instance if I click on X1.0, it will say "X1.0 Property". Click on that and you can change the descriptor from there.

I'll send you more info later this evening.
    Cody Stamper

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of cnc-professional-forum.com and its management)

Thanks

Hi codyst,
    Would you mind sending me the info as well for hooking up directly to the control.
    Thanks

Thanks

thanks cody,
    unfortunately the message folder is empty. Though the symbol folder has everything in it, pmc signals, parameters ecc. . I think the machine builder (Nakamura)uses another file to store all the messages and the personalized macros written in different languages. So then according to the language selected the pmc is mapped to display those messages within a range of addresses. I think all this data is contained into another file I can download called PMC0BSC.000 (the other one is the PMC-RB.000 which is the ladder). But I can only open it with wordpad and decodes in a sort of alien language! I even try to open it with fapt ladder in all the possible file formats but it doesn't like it. So I am a bit stuck, sure there is a comprehensible way to edit such file... don't know, another software? I'd like to send you the 2 files if you have time to look at that it would be great.
    About the other issue, connecting the fapt, my machines have either rs232 and ethernet ports, they use Fanuc controllers series 18TA, 18TB, 18i, and a couple of series 0.
    cheers Alberto

Thanks

Yes go ahead and send me the files to that email address.

A question to both you and Petro: do you both have RS232 cables made up that you can send and receive files from the control? CNC programs, Parameters, etc. If so, you can use it to connect. I will also post the procedure for setting up a static IP and connecting using ethernet. I'm digging through some files trying to gather all of it up step by step, rather than going from memory because I will surely leave something out.
    Cody Stamper

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of cnc-professional-forum.com and its management)

Thanks

Yes I have some standard communication cables. Is the ethernet a straight through or a cross over cable??
    Thanks

Thanks

The first file PMC-RB is indeed the ladder logic. If you look in the symbol/comment folder all of the alarm messages are laid out there. I had forgot to mention that the software can pull A signals from either the messages folder or the symbol/comment folder. However you mention Macro messages also. Those will be laid out in the CNC part program with #3000=n; with n being a number. Following that number you will find a message in (parenthesis). Whatever is laid out in parenthesis will show up when you get a macro generated alarm. #3000 macro alarms stop the machine. #3006 can also be used for a warning.

About the second file: it appears to be the encrypted software for the screen layouts. I can see several items in text that would normally be seen from jumping around from screen to screen. I'm not sure how it was punched out with the other files, unless the machine happens to use custom screens, which would make more sense, but doesn't neccessarily have to be true. I'm not familiar with that machine or the control layout (I actually saw one today for the first time).

To both you and Petro, I will be at work in a few hours and will post the procedures for connect. I ran into some issues and wasn't around this weekend, so I will get that on here for you guys and whoever else may need it.
    Cody Stamper

Thanks

To connect directly to the PLC via laptop at the machine using RS232
    First make sure you have a cable set up to send and recieve files.(should work, if not try jumpering pins 1 to 4 to 6 and 7 to 8 on the 9 pin side)
    Press System Hardkey
    Press PMC softkey
    Press Monitor softkey
    Press Online softkey
    Leave HOST blank
    Cursor RS232 to USE
    Set Baud, Parity, and Stop Bits
    On laptop side press Tools, Communication
    Go to settings.
    Set COM1(or related port) equal to settings on control side
    Press Connect
    You will be asked to decompile and enter password if one is set

For ethernet
    Press System hardkey
    Press ETHPRM softkey
    Press OPTR softkey
    Press EMBEDD softkey
    Set IP address to connect to ex 192.168.1.1
    Set Subnet mask ex 255.255.255.0
    Set Router IP address if the controller is on a network
    Press Page Down hardkey
    Set Port number to be used with FACTOLINK function (valid range 5001-65535); I don't think I've ever set this
    Press Page Down Hardkey
    Set the TCP Port Number (valid range 5001-65535)
    Set the UDP Port Number(valid range 5001-65535; or set to 0 if no UDP is broadcast)
    Set the time interval (set only when using the DNC1 function)
    Press Page Down Hardkey
    Set this IP for the HOST computer (on your pc go to network connections, properties, TCP/IP, configure, enter the HOST IP, and the default subnet mask)
    Username and password can be left blank.
    Set Parameter 14890 to 0 for Unix, 1 for Windows95/98/Me/NT/2000(fist host)
    14891 0 for Unix, 1 for windows (second host)
    14892 0 for Unix, 1 for windows (third host)
    From there, when you pull up FAPT and try to connect, rather than going to the COM screen, there should be another tab for the ethernet option ( I don't remember exactly what it is called, I don't have my laptop in front of me).
    Connect as usual

The RS232 connection is fine if you're just wanting to force, and do minor edits. I prefer the ethernet connection if I'm actually trying to troubleshoot. The RS232 can have a bit of lag in updating compared to the ethernet board.

Petro,
    The ethernet option is a straight cable. If you open the control panel and look on the back side of the monitor on the far right there should be an ethernet port if you have the option. I may have left something out, so if you have trouble connecting shoot me an email.
    Cody Stamper

Thanks

Thanks Codyst.
    I should have some time to try it out next week and I will let you know how things go. This will come in very handy for a big project I have coming up.

Thanks

Thanks cody for your post.
    What's your Fanuc series and PMC version?
    Because you know that windows layout and command keys vary considerably from a Fanuc series to the other (expecially with the i series) and PMC versions RB5,SB5,SB7... I tell you because the monitor key appears only in my series FS 18i TA - PMC-RB5 and not on the others. Now I don't know if I need to open an option, or the online command key is just somewhere else... it's time to drown myself into a yellow Fanuc manual. What amusement!

Thanks

Thanks cody for your post.
    What's your Fanuc series and PMC version?
    Because you know that windows layout and command keys vary considerably from a Fanuc series to the other (expecially with the i series) and PMC versions RB5,SB5,SB7... I tell you because the monitor key appears only in my series FS 18i TA - PMC-RB5 and not on the others. Now I don't know if I need to open an option, or the online command key is just somewhere else... it's time to drown myself into a yellow Fanuc manual. What amusement!
    I'm using, 16i, 18i, 21i, 30i, and 160i controllers. I believe I have ran into it before on some of the older controls where I couldn't connect directly to the PMC, but on those models I was able to edit right on the screen (15TT for example). The version of PMC won't matter as far as the screen layouts. The screens are handled in the software, but they can be customized in the parameters. I've looked through my 16/18/21i parameter manual and I can't find anything on preventing online monitoring of the PMC. I also looked through a series 16/18 parameter manual and there are not any settings that I can find for communicating to the PMC. So it looks as if it's not possible on those controllers. If you look at a 16/18/21i parameter manual, parameter 24 is the port for communicating with the PMC. 16/18 only has a port setting for Reader/Puncher.
    Cody Stamper

Thanks

Petro, if you do have a ethernet port, apparently there has been an update, and the parameter for setting the OS of the host computer #1 is 921 0 for windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000, and 1 for unix
    922 for host #2
    923 for host #3
    Cody Stamper

Thanks

System -> PMC -> PMCPRM -> SETINGS -> PROGRAMMER ENABLE

Setting this parameter to 1 enables the MONITOR softkey

Thanks

System -> PMC -> PMCPRM -> SETINGS -> PROGRAMMER ENABLE

Setting this parameter to 1 enables the MONITOR softkey
    I knew I would leave something out, and something simple to boot.
    Cody Stamper

Thanks

OK I was able to communicate with the ethernet on a 31i-A control for robodrill. However I was not able to get the RS232 working. Mainly I think because of a COM port problem. I tried two computers one with a true serial connection and one that I use a USB to serial converter which I have not had any problems with for all kinds of communication. When opening the FApt program and going to configure the COM port it seems to recognize only one COM port. Not the correct one. This happens on both types of configurations. When I attempt to change in windows it says it is in use by another device. Any idea on how to set this up??

Thanks

Default Re: fanuc 16 18 how to edit alarms and descriptions

Quote Originally Posted by codyst View Post
    To connect directly to the PLC via laptop at the machine using RS232
    First make sure you have a cable set up to send and recieve files.(should work, if not try jumpering pins 1 to 4 to 6 and 7 to 8 on the 9 pin side)
    Press System Hardkey
    Press PMC softkey
    Press Monitor softkey
    Press Online softkey
    Leave HOST blank
    Cursor RS232 to USE
    Set Baud, Parity, and Stop Bits
    On laptop side press Tools, Communication
    Go to settings.
    Set COM1(or related port) equal to settings on control side
    Press Connect
    You will be asked to decompile and enter password if one is set

For ethernet
    Press System hardkey
    Press ETHPRM softkey
    Press OPTR softkey
    Press EMBEDD softkey
    Set IP address to connect to ex 192.168.1.1
    Set Subnet mask ex 255.255.255.0
    Set Router IP address if the controller is on a network
    Press Page Down hardkey
    Set Port number to be used with FACTOLINK function (valid range 5001-65535); I don't think I've ever set this
    Press Page Down Hardkey
    Set the TCP Port Number (valid range 5001-65535)
    Set the UDP Port Number(valid range 5001-65535; or set to 0 if no UDP is broadcast)
    Set the time interval (set only when using the DNC1 function)
    Press Page Down Hardkey
    Set this IP for the HOST computer (on your pc go to network connections, properties, TCP/IP, configure, enter the HOST IP, and the default subnet mask)
    Username and password can be left blank.
    Set Parameter 14890 to 0 for Unix, 1 for Windows95/98/Me/NT/2000(fist host)
    14891 0 for Unix, 1 for windows (second host)
    14892 0 for Unix, 1 for windows (third host)
    From there, when you pull up FAPT and try to connect, rather than going to the COM screen, there should be another tab for the ethernet option ( I don't remember exactly what it is called, I don't have my laptop in front of me).
    Connect as usual

The RS232 connection is fine if you're just wanting to force, and do minor edits. I prefer the ethernet connection if I'm actually trying to troubleshoot. The RS232 can have a bit of lag in updating compared to the ethernet board.

Petro,
    The ethernet option is a straight cable. If you open the control panel and look on the back side of the monitor on the far right there should be an ethernet port if you have the option. I may have left something out, so if you have trouble connecting shoot me an email.
    I have treid that on a 15 I M and it did not work for me. Is there some other parameters that make this work? This use to work I suspect someone has changed some parameters around. Some guys in the shop like using the ladder edit card while others like using the fappt ladder.
    Last edited by airman3333; 05-09-10 at 06:44 PM.