Thread: Rigid tapping on CNC lathes, old and new.

Thanks

Default Rigid tapping on CNC lathes, old and new.

I get a lot of questions about how to use CNC because of my website.
    A shop owner named Jose has an older machine and asked by phone how to use rigid tapping. Unfortunately, I could not make out his phone number, so I hope he sees this.
    He has an older Fanuc 0T control and to the best of my knowledge has no real rigid tapping cycles.
    Fortunately, since his and all controls have threading by G32 or G33, he can make up a sequence which to all effects is the same as rigid tapping.
    O1000
    G50 S1000
    T0101
    G97 S500 M3
    G0 X0 Z1.0
    Z.2 M8
    G32 Z-.5 F.0313
    M5
    G32 F.0313 M4
    G0 X6.0 Z6.0 M9
    M30
    This should work fine with the tap mounted solid, no float.
    All of you, take a look and tell me and everyone else what you think.
    Heinz Putz.
    www.doccnc.com

Thanks

Smile Re: Rigid tapping on CNC lathes, old and new.

This is a rather old post but I felt that I should respond. I have worked Mazak for around 25 years and have tried this many years back, It doesnt work well as the machinme has to effectiveky come to a stop before it reverses. During this time the feed continues and then reverses but not in total sync with the chuck. The efffect is that the thread is either torn or the tap breaks.
    Equally if a fixed tap is not accurately on centre it will cut off line.

A fully floating holder handles all of these problems.

Thanks

Default Re: Rigid tapping on CNC lathes, old and new.

Thanks for the reply.
    I was always under the impression that a floating tap holder floats only in and out, not sideways and its purpose is to make up for a somewhat incorrect feedrate.
    You actually program your feedrate just a little slower than actual, to make sure it can float out a little.
    As far as side float, you better be on center as close as possible, otherwise is broken tap in a hurry, the side clearance is no more than about .0015" or so.
    If you already have a floating holder, use it, to buy a new one, however, is pretty expensive.
    Make sure to indicate your tap holder, regardless of what method you use for tapping.
    As far as my little cycle, the G32 coordinates the RPM with the feedrate, if you do have real Rigid Tapping, use it, if not, try the cycle I described.
    Watch blind holes very carefully, however.
    Heinz.
    www.doccnc.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Putz View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    I was always under the impression that a floating tap holder floats only in and out, not sideways and its purpose is to make up for a somewhat incorrect feedrate.
    You actually program your feedrate just a little slower than actual, to make sure it can float out a little.
    As far as side float, you better be on center as close as possible, otherwise is broken tap in a hurry, the side clearance is no more than about .0015" or so.
    If you already have a floating holder, use it, to buy a new one, however, is pretty expensive.
    Make sure to indicate your tap holder, regardless of what method you use for tapping.
    As far as my little cycle, the G32 coordinates the RPM with the feedrate, if you do have real Rigid Tapping, use it, if not, try the cycle I described.
    Watch blind holes very carefully, however.
    Heinz.
    Hi, does your G32 refer to the type A G codes? The lathe I used to operate had the type B which used G33 for this function but it did not completely sync with the spindle and the faster you tapped, the more it ran over when it stopped before reversing. So yes a floating tap holder was necessary as it allowed for the run-over.

The machine I program now, has rigid tapping which is just perfect.

Thanks

And if you have a floating tap holder, you may even tap with G01 with properly specified feedrate. Some people have tried it successfully.