Thread: alarm 401 with fanuc 6M

sgfong Guest

Unhappy alarm 401 with fanuc 6M

power on,alarm 401 and servo drive unit alarm with HCAL.Can any one tell me
    what to do,thanks.
    Last edited by sgfong; 05-15-09 at 07:21 AM.

Thanks

Default Re: alarm 401 with fanuc 6M

I have included a couple of sheets for you, the 6M 401 and the 6M HCAL.

Enjoy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6M401.jpg   6MHCAL.jpg  

Thanks

A little bit bigger images...
    Attached Files Attached Files

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sinumeriko For This Useful Post:

hungvuongcnc (05-17-13)

Thanks

Hi; I had an HCAL alarm on the x-axis of my Fanuc 6M. The problem turned out to be an intermittent cable to the stepper motor.

I got some good advice by searching history on the boards. The three main troubleshooting procedures I employed were:

1) I swapped the x and y axis servo control boards. The problem stayed with the x-axis so I knew it wasn't the board

2) I ohm'd out the x-axis Transistor (as outlined in the attachment above) and found it to be good.

3) General messing with the cable fixed the problem. It's hard to fix an intermittent cable problem but that was it for me.

Best Regards;

Erik

Thanks

Which drive & on what type of machine i.e; Lathe, Vertical M/C or Horizontal M/C?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eriksalo View Post
    Hi; I had an HCAL alarm on the x-axis of my Fanuc 6M. The problem turned out to be an intermittent cable to the stepper motor.

I got some good advice by searching history on the boards. The three main troubleshooting procedures I employed were:

1) I swapped the x and y axis servo control boards. The problem stayed with the x-axis so I knew it wasn't the board

2) I ohm'd out the x-axis Transistor (as outlined in the attachment above) and found it to be good.

3) General messing with the cable fixed the problem. It's hard to fix an intermittent cable problem but that was it for me.

Best Regards;

Erik
    Do not just swap the top boards.. if you have a transistor that i short the top board usually gets fried.. Plus you need to match all the pot and jumper setting on the boards...

heres the what you do..

1) Check incoming power to drive is it balanced?
    2) Check the motor and power cables for a short
    3) Check all the transistors inside the drive (label all wires first)
    4) If all check good then and only then would you swap the top boards.
    5) Remove Motor pwr cables and turn on machine (block gravity axis so it doesn't crash)

Thanks

f550maranello2 makes a good point. I should have mentioned that I made sure to first test the transistors on both axes before swapping boards. When I did swap baords, I switched all the jumper and pot settings. A good way to remember the jumper and pot settings is to take a picture of them so you can refer back later. That's what I usually do and it works great.

Thanks

Hi guys,

Just wanted to ad a few things. Hopefully it may help some one;

I have a Hitachi Seiki VA-35 VMC with Fanuc 6MB and have been pulling my hair out the last 2 years with error 401 and HCAL warning on Z. My maintenance manual is terrible and none of the board numbers match mine. Typically I would get the error on start up. The long time fix was to power down and back up, but wait 30 minutes before finally pressing the stand by button on the pendant. Usually it would work with what I belived was a "warm up" to power a bad capacitor or so. After a 2 week holiday I tried to power up but even a 2 hour warm up would not work. I started re.thinking the problem, checked wiring etc. but no progress. Next I found this thread and a few similar ones at CNC ZONE.

First I tried checking the T-Modules in the servo amp behind the velocity control PCB. I got a bit stuck as the labeling on the terminals to check as advised in various posts did not match my terminals. This differs depending on which model number of servo amp you have. The attached jpgs in this thread did match my Z velocity control A06B-6047-H040.
    So, after confirming no short or bad transistors I tried to disconnect the Z motor wires and short terminal S23 to see if the HCAL was caused by bad wiring or the PCB itself, like suggested in the jpg in this thread. When power in up I got error 400 SERVO direct instead of the star up screen. So shorting S23 did not help. I found another 6MB maintenance manual that suggested shorting S20 instead. Obviously this all depends on which model of top pcb you have. Instead of trying to find which jumper to short for my top pcb which is an A20B-0009.0320/05B I tried swapping the top PCB's between Y and Z to see if the HCAL waring would stay with the board or the axis. This gave another error (dont remember) but with the result that some breaker tripped and pressing stand by did not work. So I could still not see if HCAL stayed with board or axis. I guess that re-tuning the pots and changing the jumpers could have seen this through with out the breaker popping, but as I dont have an oscilloscope I didnt want to mess with it.

Next I found a useful thread at CNC Zone that talks about intermittent HCAL warnings and 401 errors have been caused by a faulty componenet on the top pcb. It is a 1 X 1" black thing with part number A76L-0300-0035/T. This part has only 5 legs. Desoldering can be easy or difficult depending on your skill and tools. My iron is not a hot one and old tin is tricky with a solder sucker. Instead I added fresh tin and while heating I pushed the leg with a small watch makers philipps head little by little on each leg until I got the part out of the board. On one of the PCBs the legs of the part must have been bent so unfortunately I also got the via and copper trace out... Anyway it is easy to check where each leg is going with a simple diode test with a fluke meter and I fixed it in a few minutes.
    Instead of soldering the parts I soldered 5 wires each 1" long to the holes and then the parts to the other ends of the wires figuring it would be easier to swap back again if needed.

After replacing the pcbs the HCAL and 401 is gone and I am extremely happy!

So what caused the problem then? My guess is that one of the legs was a bad solder by Fanuc. Possibly the heat generated by the amp behind the board created enough expansion to close the contact which would explain why typically it would work after the machine had been left on for some time, but always alarm out in the mornings.

All the best,

Andy

Thanks

Hello Andy,

Good to hear you solved your problem. Sometimes when I take off components from a pcb for testing purposes and thinking about resoldering them or "test swaping" with another pcb's what I do instead is to solder a socket, it can be an IC socket or a single raw of female pins as I guess it was your case. I do it this way especially with "hard to get" components. One other thing, I have the pdf copy of the manual that you mention worked for you, if you need it, drop me a line, it's free for all the members of this forum.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sinumeriko For This Useful Post:

marky (11-04-11)

adrianfreddo Guest

I have the pdf copy of the manual that you mention worked for you, if you need it, drop me a line, it's free for all the members of this forum.
    Please email , thank you.

Thanks

What is your email address?

a price Guest

I would appreciate a copy of the pdf you mention thanks in advance, Andy

Thanks

syrmamex Guest

Unhappy Re: alarm 401 with fanuc 6M

Hello friends
    I have an Acroloc VMC with FANUC GN 6M
    When I turn on the machine, it drops alarm 401 SERVO it said.
    I check the axis board for the green READY LED and it just turn on for 1 second and then it turns off, and the magnetic contactor tries to work but it cant.

All this happen when i tried to return the machine to home.
    When i check the fuses, 2 of the 3 fuses of the Y axis board were blown out.
    I replaced , and they dont blow out again but now I have the alarm, I open the Y servo and everything looks to be ok.

One of the things that I noticed was that I dont have 20 VDC in the CN3 pin 10 in the Y and Z boards, I just have that voltage in X.

There are 2 modules behind the boards Y and Z, it looks to be SCR module , I dont know how to check them, so I cant tell you if it is ok.

I swap the boards Y and Z, and the problem continues.

Can somebody help me , please?
    I want to work urgently.
    Thank you

Thanks

Helo Sinmueriko

Coudl you share with me the manual?
    I have same alarm 401, Hitachi Seiki 6TB

Thanks

Thanks

Of course Frank,

Thanks

I could use a copy of the manual for the fanuc 6M too. my email address is ryanrschuster at gmail dot com.

Thanks in adavance.

Ryan Schuster

Thanks

Download link sent!

Thanks

I'm sorry, the link never came through. my address again is ryanrschuster @ Gmail.com. Please remove the spaces. Thanks

Thanks

Ive sent you a test email message, please look for it.

Thanks

Hello all,

I have a Hitachi Seiki VA-40 with Fanuc 6m, series 901, vers. 05 recently I have had an alarm 401 servo on my Z axis and the TGLS led light on the board. If anyone has a manual that you could email me or if you have had this problem before and fixed it please contact me at pedro.carrillo @ clearwire.net

Thanks

Private message answered, email mesage sent. Let us know if the manual helps you somehow.

Thanks

Hi All,
    Does anyone know where you can order the 1"-x-1" component form the drive board? the part # form Fanuc is A76L 0300 0035/T. I swapped them form another axis board, and the problem does follow the component. Thanks

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: alarm 401 with fanuc 6M

THX all!

Thank you from Hungary, I like error struggling, I'm the only 2-axis in Velocity Units are only the Z axis ir HCAL error of 4 T-Mods measured they are good, only the solder could be wrong with the "black" A76L-0300-0035/T part (which Fanuc according to the isolation amplifier). Thank you again for your help.

A Hungarian CNC mounting

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: alarm 401 with fanuc 6M

THX all!

Thank you from Hungary, I like error struggling, I'm the only 2-axis in Velocity Units are only the Z axis indicates HCAL error of 4 T-Mods measured they are good, only the solder could be wrong with the "black" A76L-0300-0035/T part (which Fanuc according to the isolation amplifier). Thank you again for your help.

A Hungarian CNC mounting

Thanks

Could I have a copy too, please?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adrianfreddo View Post
    I have the pdf copy of the manual that you mention worked for you, if you need it, drop me a line, it's free for all the members of this forum.
    Please email , thank you.
    hi, could you give me a copy of that manual?

Thanks

hi, could you gime a copy of that manual? please.

this is my email. hiramfs@hotmail.com