Thread: Are you seeing a migration trend toward U.S. based manufacturing?

Mike Powell Guest

Thumbs up Are you seeing a migration trend toward U.S. based manufacturing?

We are seeing more of our customers asking us to quote workholding for projects that they are considering shifting back to the U.S. We have had several orders placed as a result.
    Last edited by Petro; 04-10-09 at 09:49 PM.

Thanks

Default Re: Are you seeing a migration trend toward U.S. based manufacturing?

Are you seeing more fixture building done here in the states? I never heard of many companies having that done overseas. Do a lot of the fixture builders send there prints and work out overseas to have them built.

I have been hearing a little bit more from companies about some of the work coming back to the US. Mainly because quality is so poor and shipping costs until when gas prices were way high, but I am sure that part has changed some. I can't tell you how many times I heard parts from China were ordered. They shipped to the US and then find out they are no good. The company paid for the parts up front and then are now stuck with bad parts, can not get a refund. If they want more pay the piper again.
    Last edited by Petro; 04-13-09 at 07:35 PM.

Mike Powell Guest

Thumbs up Re: Are you seeing a migration trend toward U.S. based manufacturing?

I am not aware that a lot of workholding is procured from outside the U.S. for product machined here inside our country or North America for that matter. I think one exception was a few years ago when many of the the "New Domestic Automakers" were starting up entire plants.

What we are seeing is many of our customers rethinking off shoring and the costs associated with this practice. Mainly we are seeing manufacturers reconsider having parts made outside of North America and in some cases outside of the U.S. especially when the end product is assembled and sold inside the U.S. When the decision is made to "onshore" a machined component often workholding needs to be ordered.

The reasons we are given for considering "on shoring" are as much about logistics, excess machining capacity in in the U.S. facilities, and yes in some cases quality issues.

Even when quality from parts machined overseas matches domestic quality the cost impact from out of spec parts is exponentially greater if the quality problem is not caught until parts reach U.S. assembly lines. Because off shoring usually requires batching, quality issues are more devastating than same domestic quality issue identified in a lean environment where there are very few parts in queue. The effort and cost to recover as well as correct a quality issue is greatly diminished when a part is machined closer to where it is assembled and sold. I hope this answers your question.
    Last edited by Mike Powell; 04-13-09 at 09:24 AM. Reason: puntuation

Thanks

Default Re: Are you seeing a migration trend toward U.S. based manufacturing?

Definitely a good thing if your business is picking up as you are probably one of the first to see it along with the machine tool dealers. From what I have heard this past month has been better for some machine tool dealers verses the past few.
    Last edited by Petro; 04-13-09 at 11:09 PM.