Thread: Anyone using Catia V5 Manufacturing?

JSims Guest

Default Anyone using Catia V5 Manufacturing?

Hello All,
    We have started using Catia V5 R19 for our CAM software. Has anyone tried this and if so how do you like using it?
    Best Regards

hacdunqh Guest

Default Re: Anyone using Catia V5 Manufacturing?

I've been using it for about 3 years. It is the primary CAM system I'm experienced with. So it's the system I'm most comfortable with. Catia is like an open source operating system. Windows OS's are pretty much ready to go right out of the box. Linux from my understanding is very customizeable, and powerful, but not ready out of the box. With patience, time is superior to windows. I'm in process of trying to automate the machining. Considering taking a three day course on it. Cost three grand though. Do you or anyone else have course materials regarding automation for machining, knowledgeware as it relates to machining. I have postprocessors to offer, tutorials, and a great deal of experience in all aspects of catia and how it relates to machining.

nghi Guest

Dear hacdunqh
    I'm also a new application of Catia V5 in Cam, I don't have the ppost and tutorial.
    May you help me some?

tranthenghi@gmail.com
    Nghi,

hacdunqh Guest

yes I have numerous post processors. Some tutorial stuff too. I will send them to you sometime this week.

Johnny K Guest

Hi guys I am new around here.

I am looking to generate tool paths from catia V5. I am experience with some of the design features but I am having trouble with the machining side. Does anyone have a tutorial for generating tool paths? Better yet does anyone have a somewhat simple part they could send me so I can look through how to “build” a process? I am eventually looking to mill contoured surfaces, so any info on this would also help a bunch. Also, I would like run this in a Bridgeport, anyone have experience with Catia’s NC code in these machines?

I know I asked allot of questions but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again,
    Johnny K

Johnny K Guest

Any one? I am trying to do contour surfacing on my 3 axis EZ track.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hello! I (desperately) need post-processors for Mazak and Hurco (3 axes). If you have something, please help me. Thank you!

Thanks

Our company has used Catia 3D NC for several years. We send data from our CAD/CAM department to our shop, to machine high toleranced molds.

Recently, we have implemented Catia 2D machining directly in our shop, which will replace an old version of SmartCAM. Our Toolmakers are not happy. We have 20+ people that are good with SmartCAM. Change is a difficult pill to swallow... We have explained that SmartCAM does not fit in with our company vision of having a totally integrated design and manufacturing system. Catia allows many advantages that smaller companies are not so interested in. The few guys that we have trained in Catia feel that they are just as competent as they were in SmartCAM. The learning curve is extensive and it will take time to get everyone trained. As we build-up our expertise, we will need to rely on others who have mastered using Catia.

Our team would really benefit from having a Catia NC users exchange. In searhing the Net, found this professional forum and thought this might be a good place to connect. If there are Catia users out there that have mastered some NC background set-ups, developed interesting knowledge based program shortcuts, etc. we would like to begin some dialog here.

Hope to talk soon.

Rick

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hacdunqh View Post
    I've been using it for about 3 years. It is the primary CAM system I'm experienced with. So it's the system I'm most comfortable with. Catia is like an open source operating system. Windows OS's are pretty much ready to go right out of the box. Linux from my understanding is very customizeable, and powerful, but not ready out of the box. With patience, time is superior to windows. I'm in process of trying to automate the machining. Considering taking a three day course on it. Cost three grand though. Do you or anyone else have course materials regarding automation for machining, knowledgeware as it relates to machining. I have postprocessors to offer, tutorials, and a great deal of experience in all aspects of catia and how it relates to machining.
    We are trying to integrate Catia v5 into our shop. I would appreciate it if you could share your post-processors & maybe any tutorials concerning advanced machining & tool path generation.
    Just the opinions of an old fool

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by karl-1 View Post
    Our company has used Catia 3D NC for several years. We send data from our CAD/CAM department to our shop, to machine high toleranced molds.

Recently, we have implemented Catia 2D machining directly in our shop, which will replace an old version of SmartCAM. Our Toolmakers are not happy. We have 20+ people that are good with SmartCAM. Change is a difficult pill to swallow... We have explained that SmartCAM does not fit in with our company vision of having a totally integrated design and manufacturing system. Catia allows many advantages that smaller companies are not so interested in. The few guys that we have trained in Catia feel that they are just as competent as they were in SmartCAM. The learning curve is extensive and it will take time to get everyone trained. As we build-up our expertise, we will need to rely on others who have mastered using Catia.

Our team would really benefit from having a Catia NC users exchange. In searhing the Net, found this professional forum and thought this might be a good place to connect. If there are Catia users out there that have mastered some NC background set-ups, developed interesting knowledge based program shortcuts, etc. we would like to begin some dialog here.

Hope to talk soon.

Rick
    We too are trying to move from SmartCAM to Catia. We'd love the opportunity to discuss the transition with you.
    Just the opinions of an old fool

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hacdunqh View Post
    yes I have numerous post processors. Some tutorial stuff too. I will send them to you sometime this week.
    bonjour, je suis interesse pouvez vous m'envoyer des post processeur de catia v5 sur mon email merci d'avance

Thanks

Catia includes some demo Post Processors (IMS,ICAM & CENIT). You cannot modify them. They have a limited licence only to run as demo. Are not full and not custom made for your needs.
    If you use them you wiil need many handmade changes to NC tape.
    It is not for professional use.
    For Mazak you can use a Fanuk based post processor but with many many handmade changes to the output NCcode.
    For 4axis and more, things going more difficult.
    Best regards