Thread: Top CAD CAM Software

Thanks

Default Top CAD CAM Software

What would you say are the top 4 CAD CAM packages that are most used today?

Thanks

Thanks

Default Re: Top CAD CAM Software

I've been using CAMWorks (don't), and HSMWorks (highly recommended) for Solidworks integrated CAM.

Thanks

Let me know if you want a contact at HSMWorks for a trial version. I don't have a relationship with them other than happy customer.

And if you really hate someone, I can give you contacts at CAMWorks to pass on.

Thanks

Three others to take a close look at are Mastercam, Espirit, and Virtual Gibbs. They're probably the three top systems in the shops today. All three will import nearly all of the cad program files as well as generate their own.
    Just my opinion as a field rep.

Thanks

Siemens NX, PTC Creo & MasterCAM

Thanks

Hey Gabe, I'd greatly appreciate a contact for HSMWorks, as I'm in the market for CAM software. I'm also curious as to what makes CAMWorks so undesirable? Thanks.

Thanks

BobCAD-CAM is consistently cheaper and more bang for your buck. They just released their newest version today and I'm downloading it now!

Thanks

A comment to anyone evaluating CAM software: I spent 14+ years on ProEngineer and ProManufacturing until the Wildfire rewrite made all my development work (500+ mapkeys for example) and 14+ years of effort a waste of time. Gave up fighting the software at WF3 and backed up to WF2. I spent a little time on WF5. I was hired recently to implement and train the manufacturing engineers at my company in Creo NC. I have spent 3 months trying. It is the worst piece of garbage I have ever worked with in a major software application. (I also use Solidworks, CimatronE, PowerShape Pro, and PowerMill).

There are 2 major problems with this software: First, it is quite obvious that the developers do not know a "#$% thing about manufacturing. I traced the ribbon menus (which I hate with a passion) and documented them on 11X17 paper with 4 columns per page. Creo Design (which I still like and use) took 2.5 pages. Creo NC took 5 pages + 1 column on pg 6 and there is no understandable logic. My knowledge of ProManufacturing (and Creo NC is almost identical to WF2) is the only thing that made it possible to use the software because, when a setting that I needed or the tool path needed was missing, I KNEW it was missing and could go looking for it. The 2nd reason is because of the approach to settings. I have no problem with a lot of settings. I do have a problem with those settings define how the tool will function INSIDE the cut. I control the stock, fixturing, tool choices, speeds and feeds, DOC and SO, etc. I DO NOT control the characteristics of the tool within the cut. The people writing the code had better understand what the tool should be doing and what needs to be considered as the tool moves through the tool path. So I do not have a problem with 450+ settings. I do have a problem when there is no differentiation between mill, mill-turn, lathe, wire, and CMM settings. Why am I having to answer "minimum arc radius" and "number of arc points" when I am drilling holes? My anger at this software and PTC is impossible to express in an on-line forum. That kind of language is not allowed even if appropriate in this situation.

In my opinion, NO ONE INCLUDING ME can use this software reliably and safely. With the speeds the new Volumill tool paths can achieve (and we have VERY good machines), a catastrophic failure could get someone seriously hurt or killed. I have refused to send a program from Creo NC to the floor under any circumstances even if it costs me my job. I am bewildered by PTC. I consider Creo NC to be a blatant "slap in the face" to every manufacturer that is a PTC customer.

I got lucky, my company listened to me and we are switching to MasterCam.
    Last edited by davidm; 09-12-17 at 08:00 AM. Reason: cleanup