Thread: PLEASE HELP!!! How can I send G-code to device

Thanks

Default PLEASE HELP!!! How can I send G-code to device

Hi all,

I'm currently using LinuxCNC (formerly EMC2) as the interface for my TableTob milling machine. But I want to create an android application to send G-code commands directly to the milling machine. Therefore, I want to eliminate the LinuxCNC software from the process. As we know, CNC Milling Machines often make use of the parallel port of the PC to directly control the mills motors and attachments.

However, I'm not sure how to communicate with the parallel port or rather what should happen after sending the code. I feel that the raw G-code that would be sent via Bluetooth from the Android device must be processed (compiled or converted to machine language?) before sending to that port. It seems that there is an intermediate step(s), but I don't know where to start.

Here is what I want to do:

Send G-code from Android device -> G-code will be received at the PC -> (????? not sure what to do) -> send the output of previous step to the milling machine -> cut the part.

Please help me with the part in bold with the question marks!

Many thanks!

Thanks

Default Re: PLEASE HELP!!! How can I send G-code to device

Quote Originally Posted by aniga View Post
    Hi all,
    As we know, CNC Milling Machines often make use of the parallel port of the PC to directly control the mills motors and attachments.
    However, I'm not sure how to communicate with the parallel port or rather what should happen after sending the code. I feel that the raw G-code that would be sent via Bluetooth from the Android device must be processed (compiled or converted to machine language?) before sending to that port. It seems that there is an intermediate step(s), but I don't know where to start.

Here is what I want to do:

Send G-code from Android device -> G-code will be received at the PC -> (????? not sure what to do) -> send the output of previous step to the milling machine -> cut the part.

Please help me with the part in bold with the question marks!

Many thanks!
    The overwhelming method of communicating with machine tools not having an Ethernet or Memory Card Interface, is via RS232 (Serial), and not Parallel. Many confuse the Female DB25 Serial connector interface at the control as being a parallel connector.

You don't have to compile the data. Computers, as I'm sure you probably know, work with the binary system. The binary representation of the ASCII character (ISO Format) will be sent and received. For example:

G01

is sent as

01000111 (ASCII 71)
    00110000 (ASCII 48)
    00110001 (ASCII 49)

Accordingly, the CNC file (Text file) does not have to be compiled.

If you connected a receiver to the RS232 connector of the control, you would be able to wirelessly communicate directly from the Andriod device; it will be all in the application you write, or obtain.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks

Hi Bill!

Sorry for the belated reply and thanks for your answer.

In your reply, you said that I should connect a receiver at the control. What type of receiver would that be?

I want to use a Bluetooth adapter, but such adapter would require installing drivers and what not. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aniga View Post
    Hi Bill!

Sorry for the belated reply and thanks for your answer.

In your reply, you said that I should connect a receiver at the control. What type of receiver would that be?

I want to use a Bluetooth adapter, but such adapter would require installing drivers and what not. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
    Sorry for not replying earlier.

There are many devices available via the Internet that will allow wireless communication between the external device and the machine control. If the control uses RS232 protocol for communication, the wireless receiver is connected to the Serial Interface connector of the control, and sends/receives data to/from the external device via a wireless comms.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks

Thanks again Bill.

I did what you recommend me, i.e., send raw g-code to the CNC Sherline milling machine, but nothing has happened!

I've seen in the below link a description about something called Cannonical Functions, which are used by the EMC (Enchanced Machine Control) software that comes with Sherline machines.

In the description, they mention that EMC software receives g-code commands and then sends the Cannonical Functions to the control, and the latter are actually what moves the stepper motors, NOT raw g-code.

What are your thoughts on that?

Link:
    http://www.google.com.my/url?sa=t&rc...42965579,d.bmk