Thread: Horizontal Milling Milling Machines over VMC'S?

Thanks

Default Horizontal Milling Milling Machines over VMC'S?

I run a plethora of VMC's what's the big ass deal over the Horizontal Milling Machine? The Axis of the Tombstone? I run the dog piss out of an Enshu S400 and next to it is an Enshu JE-80 Horizontal. I KNOW I CAN RUN BOTH!!! Chime in if you feel different!

Thanks

Default Re: Horizontal Milling Milling Machines over VMC'S?

I am not quite sure what you are asking?? It appears to me that someone is stating that the skill level needed to operate a horizontal machine is different vs a vertical??

A good machinist can run just about any machining center. Horizontal machines are less utilized then vertical machines…ie people are more familiar with vertical. Setups on the horizontal machines can be more difficult/cumbersome as you have gravity to fight with. This also gives you the benefit of chip removal.

The other things that can trip you up is the axis Z and Y are opposite of that in a vertical machine. I have a lot of guys run both machines and seen them move the wrong direction from time to time but no major issues. This is one of the main reasons I do not allow them to run both a vertical and horizontal at the same time.

Stevo
    (The opinions in this post are my own and not those of machinetoolhelp.com and its management)

Thanks

Smile Re: Horizontal Milling Milling Machines over VMC'S?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    I am not quite sure what you are asking?? It appears to me that someone is stating that the skill level needed to operate a horizontal machine is different vs a vertical??

A good machinist can run just about any machining center. Horizontal machines are less utilized then vertical machines…ie people are more familiar with vertical. Setups on the horizontal machines can be more difficult/cumbersome as you have gravity to fight with. This also gives you the benefit of chip removal.

The other things that can trip you up is the axis Z and Y are opposite of that in a vertical machine. I have a lot of guys run both machines and seen them move the wrong direction from time to time but no major issues. This is one of the main reasons I do not allow them to run both a vertical and horizontal at the same time.

Stevo

Well put Stevo. Unless the vertical has a rotary axis there are usually more codes in play on the horizontal. There is a clearance for indexing and tool change differance. Z axis stays with the Spindle. I am with you on not running them at the same time.
    Last edited by psharp1; 10-08-12 at 10:56 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post

Stevo
    We have a long bed mill with a head that can orient in many working planes. Standing in front operating it as a vertical is great. Everything makes perfect sense.

Orient it to horizontal and stand behind the machine so you can see what you are cutting, and programming/operating it is just wrong on every level as axes are not redefined for other orientations....

DP

Thanks

Even if you are using a 4, 5, 6, or 7 axis machine the Z axis normally stays with the spindle unless the machine controls are not controlling the head tilt. The other axis give you compound angles that are sometimes tricky to deal with, especially if you have a 3 axis with head tilt. Trig, polaring, and/or a really good cad/cam sould work. If you are good at programming, there are really good macros that handle these quite well and shorten any program conciderally. They can even make your position # look like they should. Impressive to.

Thanks

In my opinion, I do not feel you can operate either beyond green button red button..........but remember, thats just my opinion.

Thanks

Smile Re: Horizontal Milling Milling Machines over VMC'S?

Almost all machines understand "Basic" language. How much depends on what is turned on. Even Machines that seem to have their own language, it is converted to basic language commands for the machine to understand. Machines like Mazak use a "Data Base" to store their programs. That is converted to Macros and then to "Basic". You can make it do pretty much whatever you wish. All between the red and green buttons. If you are game for it.