Thread: Sharp ST-30

Thanks

Default Sharp ST-30

I have a Sharp ST-30 lathe....crashed prior to my being on it, seems to push the turret out of allignment continually. Did fairly well untill now. Currently fighting it holding allignment in aluminum with a 1/2 in boring bar, .050 DOC, .010F.....shoves it out from .010-.015 when I sweep the tool pot......carrage is tight when I try to push it out, just seems to be in the turret. Per conversation with previous op, allignment "cones" were removed after the installer crashed it and they were never fixed. Where do I get them and where do they go?

Thanks

Default Re: Sharp ST-30

James,

Welcome to the forum, I don't know your exact machine but do know what you're talking about, those alignment "cones" are actually named taper pins, they are made of soft steel and have a blind threaded hole in one end, in that hole you can screw an special tool to extract them after the alingment process has been done. Some of the machines that use 4 pins require 2 of them to be left in place all the time.

You would need to get your machine's mechanical manual, or at least an exploded view of the whole turret, there you can find the written specs of the taper pins you need, or you can figure the size out, I recently had to, in my case I needed to fabricate 2 pieces for an Okuma lathe sized 8 mm at initial diameter, 8.9 mm at final diameter and 45 mm long, (this is just an example for you). You may also contact your machine manufacter and ask him for those parts.

In the attached exploded view (again, it's just an example, it belongs to a Daewoo lathe) you can see where those pins go, they are boxed in RED.

In that drawing, pins numbered 280 are the ones used to align the turret disk, they are pulled out after the job is done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Turret taper pins.pdf  
    Last edited by Sinumeriko; 08-08-12 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Added info.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sinumeriko For This Useful Post:

jameshickman (08-09-12)