Thread: Magnatek spindle drive, no power to logic board

Thanks

Default Magnatek spindle drive, no power to logic board

Was idling and all of a sudden lost all power to logic board drive. Drive is a GPD503 open loop drive. Machine was still running, verified good power to drive, main fuse still good, DC buss voltage was 350VDC and still powering axis drives fine. I really think this is a low voltage power supply issue but not sure where to start. Hard to get a schematic for this drive and no smoking guns inside like exploded components (I never get that lucky). I am sort of suspecting an old multi tap transformer coil but no other reason than I have no specs or way to verify it.

Can anyone offer any help at all, either in general or specifically to the GPD drive generation? I believe all the major components are fine but obviously a 50 cent part can ruin your whole day!

Thanks

Default Re: Magnatek spindle drive, no power to logic board

Hope this helps, if you need the complete 56-page manual, please let me know, it's free.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GPD 503.pdf  

Thanks

THAT IS OUTSTANDING!!! I am shocked that someone had that info. Yes please, if you have more of that, I will take it!! I already have the operations and tech manual but anything to do with board level repair would be great!

Also, since you are probably "on the level" regarding drives, I am trying to install a different drive because of this failure and VERY concerned about the shot pin system for spindle orient. The Magnatek drive is a scalar v/hz or open loop drive. The drive I am installing is a sensorless vector A500 Mits unit. My concern is when a slow speed is commanded while the shot pin locks, the drive might try to power out of the pin stop before it gets the halt command and damage something. Am I just over thinking this or could we have real issues here? orient speed will likely be about 30-50rpm on the motor.

It does not seem there are any outputs from the control side to easily apply a torque limit for orient. Not sure how to configure this yet safely.

Thanks

I uploaded the pdf file to Dropbox, its name is Magnetek GPD 503, inside the folder "CNC Forum dropbox".

You don´t need to install the Dropbox application in your computer in order to download the Magnetek file.

Here is the link to this forum's Dropbox account:

http://cnc-professional-forum.com/ma...ageid=drop-box

Please let me know when you are done, to erase the file accordingly.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sinumeriko For This Useful Post:

john49 (03-13-12)

Thanks

Thanks! I grabbed it up. I will have to see if it will do us any good. Looks like a PS board issue so far.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sinumeriko View Post
    Hope this helps, if you need the complete 56-page manual, please let me know, it's free.
    By any chance does anyone have a copy of this manual? Much appreciated if someone reposts it. You can email me is your wish,

Thanks,

Doug