Thread: Operational Noise - Clausing Colchester 15 Triumph Lathe

Guest Guest

Default Operational Noise - Clausing Colchester 15 Triumph Lathe

I have a Clausing Colchester 15 Triumph Lathe that seems noisy when operating. Starting and running the main motor is very quiet. Then when the lathe is engaged for turning it seems to make excessive noise. That is when compared to a larger Clausing Colchester Lathe of the same vintage. The noise is consistent during long periods of turning. The pitch of the noise varies a bit with spindle speed. I suspect bad spindle bearings. Any ideas on the source of the noise? How can I find out if the spindle bearings are bad? Thanks Mike.

Thanks

I am not familiar with that particular model. But does it ave a gear box for the spindle?
    If you turn it by hand do you feel anything or is it smooth??
    Put an indicator on the face or side of the chuck and engage a tailstock or put bar in spindle to try to move it side by side? How much movement do you have??
    Also check the draw tube actuator and see if it is loose and aligned tru with an indicator.

Guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Petro
    I am not familiar with that particular model. But does it ave a gear box for the spindle?
    If you turn it by hand do you feel anything or is it smooth??
    Put an indicator on the face or side of the chuck and engage a tailstock or put bar in spindle to try to move it side by side? How much movement do you have??
    Also check the draw tube actuator and see if it is loose and aligned tru with an indicator.
    Petro,

The lathe is an gearbox type headstock. I'll try what you said and get back to you. Not sure what the draw tube actuator is. It does not have a collet closer if that is what you mean.

Thanks

Check for keyways that may be rocked out or bad bearings on the gearshafts. Is it loud in both high and low gear?? Depending on gear box configuration. This may point you in the right direction as far as what shaft could be causing the problems.

Guest Guest

it's the back gear, there's a small gear at the end of your spindle driving a larger "back " gear that drives the gearbox