Thread: CRT Brightness on SL-3 Mori with Yasnac LX1

Thanks

Default CRT Brightness on SL-3 Mori with Yasnac LX1

Hello,

My friend, for whom I'm asking this question, has recently purchased a used 1984 Mori Seiki SL-3 CNC lathe. The machine needed servo controller repair and the servo controller has been sent out for test and repair.

In the meantime while we are cleaning the machine and preparing it for service, we notice that the CRT display is very dim. The particular Yasnac controller faceplate that the machine has does not have a brightness control for the CRT.

We have the manual for the unit that we downloaded from the Yaskawa site. We also got another LX1 manual with the machine. I also downloaded the maintenance manual frrom Yaskawa.

One of the manuals shows a brightness control knob in a drawing of the faceplate. The other manual does not. Neither of the manuals nor the maintenance manual says anything about brightness control on the LX1 Yasnac controller.

Thus, we are wondering if anyone here might know the secret to the brightness contol on this unit. We are hoping that the CRT does not need work.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Thanks

Default Re: CRT Brightness on SL-3 Mori with Yasnac LX1

If the Cathode Ray Tube inside your screen monitor is 9" sized and 20 years old or more, it probably needs to be replaced. Some of these monitors have the brightness control, but it is built inside the monitor itself, some just don't have one. If there is no brightness control at all, there are 5 options for you to do:

a) Buy a new lcd display adapted for you machine make and model.
    b) Buy a new (NOS) original full monitor.
    c) Buy a refurbished original full monitor.
    d) Buy a used original full monitor.
    e) Buy a new (NEW) CRT for your monitor and replace it yourself.

Option e is the best, there is a seller at eBay who sells this new crt for your monitor, the job to replace it is very easy, you just need a few instructions on how to discharge the electricity from the 2nd anode. If you need further instructions, let us know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2.jpg  

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sinumeriko View Post
    If the Cathode Ray Tube inside your screen monitor is 9" sized and 20 years old or more, it probably needs to be replaced. Some of these monitors have the brightness control, but it is built inside the monitor itself, some just don't have one. If there is no brightness control at all, there are 5 options for you to do:

a) Buy a new lcd display adapted for you machine make and model.
    b) Buy a new (NOS) original full monitor.
    c) Buy a refurbished original full monitor.
    d) Buy a used original full monitor.
    e) Buy a new (NEW) CRT for your monitor and replace it yourself.

Option e is the best, there is a seller at eBay who sells this new crt for your monitor, the job to replace it is very easy, you just need a few instructions on how to discharge the electricity from the 2nd anode. If you need further instructions, let us know.

Thank you for the response. I feared that the CRT could be dim due to its age. It is a 9" as you say. I'll pass your post on to my friend and we will deal with this problem when we fire the machine up. As I mentioned we are awaiting the return of the Servo controller unit.

Thanks

Just to follow up. We removed the cover from the CRT unit inside of the control cabinet and located the pots that control the CRT functions. There are pots for horizontal and vertical hold and brightness. With a minor adjustment we were able to brighten the display so that it is usable for the time being. Plans are to replace the CRT to make it perfect later on. We are still working to get the machine fully operational in other aspects.

Thanks again.