Thread: Setting lathe work piece coordinates G54-G59 (Faunuc Oi-Tc)

Thanks

Default Setting lathe work piece coordinates G54-G59 (Faunuc Oi-Tc)

I have recently obtained an Aero-Turn BT-300 lathe with the Fanuc Oi-Tc control and have started going through the programming experience. I have now stumbled on the task of setting up different work coordinates for different parts that I would like to run. Can anyone walk me through setting those up? Remember that I am a novice at this time but am improving.

Thanks

Default Re: Setting lathe work piece coordinates G54-G59 (Faunuc Oi-Tc)

George,
    This will really depend on how your machine is setup for your reference positions. Like Z0 is top of chuck and X0 is center of chuck. Typically once you have a tool offset to a standard......say chuck face then you can enter a height of a part in G54-G59 and then when you activate the workcoordinate then this will become your zero position. An example is if you were to program G0Z0 with your tool offset active then the tool tip would go to the chuck face. Now if you put a 3" part on your machine and also put 3" in your G55 Z workcoordinate and program G0G55Z0 with your tooloffset active your tool tip will go to the top of the part. This is the most common way but it really depends on how your machine is setup.

Here are a few links to some other threads were this has been discussed. Take a look at them and let me know were you may have some questions.

http://cnc-professional-forum.com/pr...ro-toyoda.html

http://cnc-professional-forum.com/ge...c-control.html

FYI......most fanucs will default to G54 when reset or M30 program end is read. So don't get yourself messed up thru trial and error if you play around.

Stevo
    (The opinions in this post are my own and not those of machinetoolhelp.com and its management)

Thanks

Stevo,
    Thank you for your reply. My control does default to the G54 location every time I start up. When I first start it up I have to do a zero return. Is that the reference position that you spoke of? On my offsets page I can go to the work coordinates page, move the tool to the desired position, type in Z0, hit the measure button, and it will put in the offset. I can do that for all of the positions. I guess for my next questiion is... How do I move from G54 to say G55? I have tried it in MDI mode (G55 M30) and Setting it at the beginning of the program. but I must do something wrong. When I go back to the offsets page it hadn't changed (it shows the active Gxx in the upper left corner of the screen). I'm sure that it must be something simple. Maybe I'm making it harder than it really is. When I first initiate the control it comes up with D6B1-07 is that the model?

Thanks

George,

The first reference position is what the machine positions to when you program a G0G90X0Y0Z0 once the machine is homed out after power up. Some machines will be set to the same and others will not. As an example to the way I setup my machines is at power up the Z axis will go all the way positive to home the machine but after that if I program G0G90Z0 the spindle face will go to the table face.

Ok to use the other coordinates you need to have the cursor in the desired offset like G55Z position. Now if you measure it should put the offset value in the G55 coordinate. So when you want to use the G55 simply program it at the beginning of your program or before your first positioning move. G55 will stay modal until you press reset or it reads a program end.

I hope this helps,
    Stevo
    (The opinions in this post are my own and not those of machinetoolhelp.com and its management)

Thanks

For measuring offset distances for, say, G55 coordinate system, execute G55 in the MDI mode, not G55 M30 which will again switch to G54.