Thread: Simplified angle cutting??

Thanks

Default Simplified angle cutting??

Has anyone ever heard of cutting angles using the command ,A then specifing the exact angle you want to cut. This was accomplished using a Fanuc 21 controller on an EMCO lathe. I have tried this on different machines with the same controller and it would not work, it seemed the "A" command had something to do with the spindle speed as it made it speed up. I have contacted Fanuc and the tech I spoke with almost made me feel like I was "stealing" something from them. I then contacted the machine tool builder (Emco) and got a messsage back from them stating they had purchased something called a "comfort programming" feature with the machines. I have not heard of this before, has anyone else. I would like to know more information on this feature if anyone has some as this would really simplify things and eliminate alot of time calculating angles. Thanks for the help!!

Thanks

Default Re: Simplified angle cutting??

Welcome to the group.

You got my attention. I am all ears on this topic. I have heard of something along the lines of simply programming an "A" value in the G-code to create an angle but have never directly done so. Most of my experience is on Fanuc controls and am very intrested in hearing more.

Can you give more of an explanation on what you know? What did the tech at fanuc say?

I bet Heinz may have some things to add to this discussion.

Stevo
    (The opinions in this post are my own and not those of machinetoolhelp.com and its management)

Thanks

Hello Gentleman

The function you are referring to is called Direct drawing dimensions programming.

It is explained in the Fanuc operating manual , and is very powerful ,basically gives a Fanuc control the same capabilities as Mazatrol.

On the 0i control it is standard , but on the older controls it is an option ,I believe it was even an option on the 6T control.

The features available is taper cutting using an angle , automatic raduis and auto chamfer.No more need for trigonemetry.

I use this funtion often and will answer any questions.

Another very powerful option on the new controls is Manual Guide , which can be compared to an on board Cam system.

Regards
    Deon

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DEONSKOK For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Cool. As I said before I have heard of it but only vaguely. I was unaware of it being an option on the Fanucs. I know most of them and have never come across it. Or maybe I have and did not know what it was.

Anyhow could you give an example of the syntax say for a 18t fanuc on how to cut the angle?

Stevo
    (The opinions in this post are my own and not those of machinetoolhelp.com and its management)

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for the welcome and the replies. I have been in contact with Fanuc Options department and for right now they are acting clueless. I just emailed them a page out of their own manual describing this option and I am waiting to hear from them again. All I want to do is find out what the cost to enable this option on my machines. I have a German Intern working with me and I had him call Fanuc Germany and they are completly up to speed with this option and say it can be put on all controllers up to ten years old. I am feeling very dissapointed in Fanuc America. I will update as I hear more from them. I also have some good examples of how this feature works but I do not know how to upload them to this site. I can easily e-mail them if someone wants to see them.

Thanks

What model Fanuc are you trying to put this on?

You have to have 10 posts before you are able to attach things to your posts. Once you are at 10 then you can attach by selecting “Go Advanced” once your message is typed. Then select “manage attachments” you can then proceed to upload your attachment

Stevo

Thanks

It is the 18i-TB and the 180i-TB.

It worked on the 21I TB controller.

Thanks

This is going to have to probably be something that Fanuc is going to have to do for you. Back in about mid 2006 they instituted a password encryption that is specific with the serial number of the machine and has to be called in by a service tech. So be prepared to spend some money.

Stevo

Thanks

Just heard back from The machine tool builder and they are going to get in touch with Fanuc to see how much this option would cost.

Thanks

Enabling of the DDD(direct dimension....) is set in the parameters. I don't have 18i manuals but I do have 0i. A word of caution on parameter changes. Look up all of the information on this in your manuals before anything is changed. A pot of coffee and some quiet time away from distractions helps too.

Thanks

Just recieved quote back from the machine builder and the costs are crazy!!! They want $750.00 per machine (I have 6) plus $750.00 travel expenses. This is on machines that are already in production so it makes no sense to pay for this option as all the angles have already been programmed the old-fashioned way. I am just baffled that Fanuc is not letting their customers know of this option. I work in a factory that has 11 Engineers and none of them has ever heard of programming an angle using the comma A. I am not finished with this issue, I can smell the coffee brewing now!

Thanks

I figured it would run you some $.

I don’t think it is all that uncommon for your engineers to have not heard of this. I have been working pretty exclusively on Fanuc for a long time now setting them up from scratch to extensive programming and only remember hearing about it some time ago in a different forum. I didn’t pay much attention to it as it did not interest me at the time.

Have you thought of programming the angles as macro’s so that all you have to do is give it one of the legs and the degree and let the machine calculate it out? Same concept and the only $ it will cost you is a bit in programming.

Stevo

Thanks

Hello Stevo and everyone else that has commented on this.
    It was a number of years ago that I tried it and worked out a couple of simple examples. I do not remember what the machine or control was, it might have been an Emco.
    I did it for myself, for any customers I try to teach them my simplified math calculations.
    I always felt that when I look at a program, that I want to see exactly where the motion is supposed to go, in case I want to make a small correction.
    The way I remember the angle programming is that you specify an angle with some endpoint info and you have to assume that the control is smarter than you are and trust it.
    By the way, Stevo, where in Wisconsin are you .
    We lived in Chicago for many years, my first job in CNC was for Swedish machine Tool, we were right around the airport in Elk Grove Village and I used to drive a lot to Wisconsin almost weekly to do CNC training.
    Keep up the good work:
    Heinz.
    www.doccnc.com

Thanks

It seems like a nice feature but I really don’t see much of a benefit to it unless you are programming on the fly. Maybe I just don’t understand it enough. But then again I am a bit bias being more of a macro guy.

Ahh…..small world Heinz. You were not very far from me at all. I am in the Milwaukee/Waukesha area. I hope that you being there didn’t turn you into a Bear’s fan

Stevo

Thanks

Stevo:
    Just to date my age, I saw the Bears play when they were still at Wrigley Field,.
    Dick Butkus and Gale Sayers were the stars and all of us really hated the Packers.
    Well, back to work.
    Heinz.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Putz View Post
    all of us really hated the Packers.
    That’s ok Heinz, we all have our flaws

Look me up if you are ever in the area. I will try to get some tickets to a GB game, maybe against the Bears

Stevo

Thanks

You can search Direct drawing dimension programming Fanuc .pdf in google you will get lot of free manuals to download and study !!

Thanks

Talking Re: Simplified angle cutting??

16/18/21 controls parameter for direct drawing dim =xxxx bit x
    Last edited by Stevo; 10-18-11 at 09:17 AM.

Thanks

ot is xxx bit x
    Last edited by Stevo; 10-18-11 at 09:17 AM.

Thanks

Geoff,
    I edited your posts to remove the option parameters. Please try to refrain from posting these options publicly as they are proprietary to Fanuc and this can cause problems with the site owner.

Thank you,
    Steve