Thread: 2000 VF2 spindle grinding

Thanks

Default 2000 VF2 spindle grinding

We are having problems with our VF2 spindle when it is in low gear there is a pretty bad grinding noise, but high gear works fine. Was told that the transmission went out and would be about $6,000 to fix. I find it hard to believe that we wrecked the transmission, we really do not push our machine very hard and it all started when we went to tap a 10-24 hole in AL. The machine grabbed the tool and alarmed out, (I did not see the alarm) the machine was reset, had it try and tap again the spindle just turned back and forth 180 out did not alarm just sat there and spun back and forth like it could not pick up orientation. After that low gear makes a nasty noise. It is not the solenoid because you can force the machine into high gear and low gear just fine. We got the part finished in high gear but like I said I find it hard to believe that we wrecked the transmission by simply switching into low gear during a taping cycle. Any thoughts? or any else have this problem? Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Thanks

Default Re: 2000 VF2 spindle grinding

Not familiar with that particular machine gearbox. But my first thought and a simple thing for you to do without getting to deep would be to open up a cover when it is in low gear and making noise and make sure the gearshift is fully engaged in low gear.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ram9282 View Post
    We are having problems with our VF2 spindle when it is in low gear there is a pretty bad grinding noise, but high gear works fine. Was told that the transmission went out and would be about $6,000 to fix. I find it hard to believe that we wrecked the transmission, we really do not push our machine very hard and it all started when we went to tap a 10-24 hole in AL. The machine grabbed the tool and alarmed out, (I did not see the alarm) the machine was reset, had it try and tap again the spindle just turned back and forth 180 out did not alarm just sat there and spun back and forth like it could not pick up orientation. After that low gear makes a nasty noise. It is not the solenoid because you can force the machine into high gear and low gear just fine. We got the part finished in high gear but like I said I find it hard to believe that we wrecked the transmission by simply switching into low gear during a taping cycle. Any thoughts? or any else have this problem? Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
    if you think you didnt crash it, it might not be change it's gears properly. You can see status bits in diagnose display. These bits suppose to turn high/low when pneumatic cylinder changes gear properly. I might help you with this, please hit me a email: htakhi_usa@yahoo.com with your contact number and good time to reach. I will be more than happy to help you.

Thanks

Thanks

If the pneumatic piston is not able to get the pressure/volme of air it needs to "fully" seat the gearing then that problem can rear it's head. Check/clean your air filter where your incoming supply. Don't rely on the gage as the gage is before the filter. If you are using something on the valve to force the change, (screwdriver) then your valve may have dirt, ware, etc than can make it sticky. By forcing it you override that problem.
    Good luck!