Thread: How to set gridshift after replacing ball screw?

Tom Guest

Default How to set gridshift after replacing ball screw?

I replaced a axis ballscrew. Now the set up guy told me that the gridshift is off. I don't fully understand what the gridshift is doing for me. From what i've read and been told it is a reference from zero. But I also thought that the tool offsets did the same thing. After replacing the ballscrew, it would over travel, so i tried a "P-Cancel" on it as I usually do but it wouldn't take it. Derek O. at Miyano told me to change the gridshift. I did and it worked, but i still don't fully understand it. I am not a machinist, only a mechanic, any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Here is a page on the website that will explain in more detail about gridshift and how the machine interprets zero. You are correct in that if the zero is close enough the offsets can just be changed but this is not really the right way to do it. If the overtravels are not set correctly you run the chance of running the ballnut right into the pillow blocks or bottoming out way covers. You should be able to reset zero to the same position before you replaced the ballscrew. If you do not and there are many jobs and programs within that machine. Every program will need to be updated. If you are able to keep the same zero for every program setup will generlaly be much easier to setup.

http://www.machinetoolhelp.com/Troub...rnproblem.html