Thread: Tapping Problem

Grinder Guest

Default Tapping Problem

This is my first post and hoping to see if anyone has some knowledge to share. Any comments appreciated.

We are tapping 6 holes on 13-8 material and having a hell of a time. All holes are not thru. 4 holes are .1157/.1076", .315" depth (TAP .1380-32 UNJC-3B Thd, .250 min depth) and 2 holes are .1503/.1435", .322" depth (TAP .1380-40 UNF-3B) which later requires a helical coil insert later.

Problem: We start the TAP on the CNC MILL (FADAL 4020), w/ the starting tap having no issues. The bottom tap is not working or going down. We made over 100 parts and had to "hand tap" each part to reach the bottom.

We don't know what to do. Right now we are considering purchasing a different machine?!, like a Haas DT-1. But wanted to get your input first.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img193.jpg  

gabby Guest

Default Re: Tapping Problem

Have you tried using just the finish tap. Any tapping I have done on machines we only used one tap. Also spiral flute taps are best for blind holes. Use as big a drill as possible without making the core diameter oversize

Thanks

I agree with Gabby's suggestions. It sounds like you are not using rigid tapping. If your machine does not have rigid tapping, that could be your problem. I use Haas VMCs with rigid tapping, and on holes that are problematic I sometimes tap half way down and then repeat the tapping code going to full tapping depth with the same tap. This allows for chip clearance and plenty of coolant. The spindle orients each time so as long as the tap is programmed to start at the same z point there is no danger of cross threading. The rigid tapping allows for a precise tapping depth. Also, slowing down the feeds and speeds often helps. I have never done tapping on a CNC without rigid tapping, so I don't have personal experience with problems encountered doing it that way. I hope this is helpful.

Don
    Last edited by DRGergler; 11-07-09 at 07:57 AM. Reason: added suggestions

Thanks

Both replies bake sense. If you use two taps, there will be no way for them to orientate. You will cross thread almost for sure. Only thing I might add, if you really need to go with two taps might be to try using a compression tap holder on the second tap. It's old-school, but whatever works

Grinder Guest

Thanks for the responses. We'll look into the problem today.

Thanks

Hey Grinder,

If these suggestions don't work, try thread forming taps instead of thread cutting taps. You will have to drill bigger holes but you will not have any chips to plug your hole. It is also a stronger tap for this kind of application.

Hope it helps.

YBMach

JKvasnicka Guest

What year is your 4020? If it is since 1994 or 5, it has a vector drive spindle and can do ridgid tapping. Are you using a compression-type tap holder in a rigid-tap scenario? Make sure you are using Fadal programming with Fadal parameters or Fanuc style programming with Fanuc-set parameters. Fadal took out the need to program in a margin of error a is done in fanuc programming -only if the programming parameter is set to "Fadal" vs Fabuc."