Thread: Need advice about repairing Haas VF1 transmission

Thanks

Default Need advice about repairing Haas VF1 transmission

Since I am so far unable to find a used transmission for a Haas VF1 built in 1993, I would appreciate advice from anyone who has repaired such a transmission, especially what problems I will encounter if I try to take it apart. You are welcome to post here or e-mail me at DRGergler@aol.com.

Thank you for any advice you are able to provide.

Don

aamstutz Guest

Default Re: Need advice about repairing Haas VF1 transmission

Did you get any answer on the haas vf-1 transmission. I have a 1996 vf1 having trouble shifting from low to high . Now shaft that triggers the limit switches on the low high sensors is up above the top sensor and will not come back down. Can't seem to find a way to make it come down without taking off the motor. Don't want to do that if it will mess up my transmission.

Thanks

Our VF1 is still down. We have the motor and transmission out, still looking for a solution for less than $3000.00. It's a big job just getting the motor and transmission out. If it is necessary, be sure to have someone familiar with the machine on the job. Good luck.

Don

Thanks

We have repaired a VF3 transmission once. You are better off buying a rebuilt. Your rebuilt transmission might come with a new motor. Replacing the transmission is a big job, the best advice I could give you is not to forget to put the spindle belt in place before you mount your transmission.

If your transmission is not switching gears you could remove the low-to-high or the high-to-low airline from the solenoid and open up the reduced hole. I would not remove it all together but you could open it from the about .020" to around .070". This would help. If it is stuck you could push more pressure through the line (normal is about 85psi) but you may do more damage if you over do it and go to high.

I hope this helps.
    Clarklake Machine [Home-store]

Thanks

[QUOTE=ClarklakeMachine;4005]We have repaired a VF3 transmission once. You are better off buying a rebuilt. Your rebuilt transmission might come with a new motor. Replacing the transmission is a big job, the best advice I could give you is not to forget to put the spindle belt in place before you mount your transmission.

Thank you for your reply. Fortunately I have a friend who has experience taking the transmission out and replacing it. He is also willing to help take it apart, which he has not done before. I agree that buying a rebuilt one would be ideal, but Haas charges over $3000.00 for this. If you can give me an idea where to get one for less, it would be greatly appreciated. Can you tell me what makes repairing one so difficult? If the broken gear is not available we could have one made for a couple hundred dollars. So if you can give me an idea of the trouble you encountered repairing the VF3 transmission, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Don

Thanks

I am not completely sure but I am thinking we must have missed some debris when cleaning out the transmission case and that caused the failure. It was also our first attempt so that could have played a factor. We did not have a gear go bad but parts of the air cylinder needed replaced.
    Clarklake Machine [Home-store]

Thanks

The gearing is a shrink fit onto the shaft. If you decide to set it up your self don't forget the spindle orientation. Using an indicated vise on the table, clamp the drive dogs from turning and reset your encoder or the mechanical reference pin assembly. That will save you many headaches. Good luck!

Thanks

Strat,

Thanks for the tip. It's been hard to get any information from Haas or their dealer about this; knowing that it is a shrink fit is helpful.

Thanks,
    Don

Thanks

Strat,

We are probably going to open that Haas VF-1 gear box soon to see what we need to do to replace the broken gear, so if you know of any surprises besides the gear being a shrink fit, I would very much appreciate knowing. Thank you for your help.

Don

Thanks

DRG, sending you an email on the subject. We have a similar issue with ours and need to make a decision.

Thanks

AS advised. Go with a Haas rebuilt transmission. MUCH less downtime for the machine. New motor, valves etc. come with the new unit. A few electrical and air line hook ups along with a few adjustments and you're ready to go. Just mark everything as you remove the lines etc. Ask for a reference sheet from Haas as too the layout of the connections. If you have any experience you could swap it out in several hours. Any advice you're dealer's service can't offer, contact the dealers VP of sales. And also contact Haas and complain. Service sells the second machine to a company. Not sales. Beauty of American made. In stock and short delivery time.
    Good luck!