Thread: Odd residue

Thanks

Default Odd residue

I'm a quality manager for a CNC and Automatic Screw Machine Lathe machine shop. 1 particular part that we make periodically gets an odd residue. It only occurs on one area of the part, the shoulder behind the threads. It is not rust. It reminds me of when you season an iron skillet. It looks like caramelized oil. It can't be the solvent that the parts sit in by the machine and it can't be the solvent that our material handler washes the parts in, because like I said, it ONLY occurs on this one area of the part. This part is made on a Davenport 5-spindle automatic screw machine. Attached is a picture of what we are seeing. Any ideas? The part ends up getting plated by the customer and my concern is that this residue is going to cause issues with the plating.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails y52494.jpg  

Thanks

Default Re: Odd residue

So 215 views and no ideas?

Thanks

Eric,

What do you do to remove the residue? Does it show up right away as they come off the part or later? I think people are hesitant to respond because they don't know what material, what oil, etc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greencoulee View Post
    Eric,

What do you do to remove the residue? Does it show up right away as they come off the part or later? I think people are hesitant to respond because they don't know what material, what oil, etc.

Can't remove it. Mineral Spirits and other solvents do nothing to it. These parts are machined out of 12L14 w/ tellurium. They use red cutting oil in the machine. And like I said, it only shows up on that shoulder. It is definitely not rust.