Thread: password protection for fanuc controls

Guest Guest

Default password protection for fanuc controls

I have had a couple of situations that an operator has changed some parameters on fanuc 18-i series controls. I am looking for a parameter that will not let them turn parameter write on?

Guest Guest

Scott,

I'm not aware of any way specifically to lock out PWE, but you could put in a key switch connected through ladder that prevent entry to the MDI mode. This in turn would prevent them from turning on PWE.
    - -
    Best Regards

Paul Sevin
    Ovation Engineering, Inc.
    http://www.ovationengineering.com

Thanks

Parameter 3292 bit 7 The KEYPRM signal(memory protection signal, parameter write setting is) is Disabled (0)/Enabled (1)
    Cody Stamper

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of cnc-professional-forum.com and its management)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by codyst
    Parameter 3292 bit 7 The KEYPRM signal(memory protection signal, parameter write setting is) is Disabled (0)/Enabled (1)
    I want to know more about this, Codyst.

If my understanding of Fanuc controls is true, you would have to turn the Parameter Write Enable on to be able to change 3292.7, and once you do that, the PWE would be disabled. Now how would you be able to get back in and disable #3292.7? Seems like a Catch-22.

I'm so confused.

Many of the Fanuc-controlled machines I've worked on do have a simple "Edit Lock" hardware keyswitch. That would prevent changing everything except Wear Offsets (assuming the manufacturer has set it up right.) I worked on one line of German machines that had the key, and they had the wrong style lock. If you engaged the "Edit Lock" switch to keep people from editing programs/parameters, you could not remove the key from the switch! So an operator could just turn the key and edit away. Talk about a dumb idea. :rolleyes:

Ken M.

Thanks

KenM,

I personally have not used this setting myself. We have mostly 160i and 30i controllers running NT in the background, and have keystroke logging software running. Your understanding however is correct, PWE would have to be enabled to change it back in the parameter setting screen. Before I go to far and claim one thing as fact and have to come back and correct myself; as soon as I get back to work after the New Year, I will enable the settings on one of my machines and let you know what happens. My thoughts right now are leaning towards changing the bit parmeter with a G10 statement in MDI, but I won't say it until I prove it. I'll let you know....
    Cody Stamper

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of cnc-professional-forum.com and its management)

Thanks

Codyst,

I've run a few 160i controls myself, but even ones with 2005 build dates were running Win2000 Pro. I had asked the builder & his programmer (small company, Maier is) why they hadn't migrated to WindozeXP yet, and they said it was Fanuc who's software wasn't certified to run on XP as a front end.

Just curious, but what type machines are you running on NT?

Sorry for the thread drift!

Ken M.

Thanks

KenM,

As promised, I guinnea pigged one of my machines to test out parameter 3292. I changed bit 7 to a 1 and when you go to the Offset Setting screen for PWE it automatically changes to a 0. Tried to change 3292 back to zero and got the memory protect error. Tried to change PWE to on, and it changed for a split second and right back to off. In MDI mode I input:
    G10 L50;
    N3292R0000000;(I don't know if you've changed any bit parameters with G10 before, but you have to enter the entire 7 digit string)
    G11;
    CYCLE START

After that I was able to change PWE to ON. So my thoughts were correct, but I just wanted to confirm it before I claimed it as fact. So as long as operators don't actually see you input the code you could protect your parameters with that parameter.

Parameter 3292 bit 7 protects signal G46.0, while your Key switch will normally protect signals G46.3 thru G46.6 G46.5 is the signal that prevents you from inputing data. So if your keyswitch was off, and you went to PWE and pressed "1" input, you would get your alarm saying it was protected. I'm not sure how it would react if you used the "ON" and "OFF" softkeys. My guess is that if you pressed "ON" PWE would turn on, but you would still not be able to change parameters because you have to press the input button. Protecting signal G46.0 with parameter 3292 prevents you from turning on PWE all together. But if you go to your tool length offsets or macro variables, you'd still be able to change them because you aren't protecting the input signal.

I'm sure somone has a keyswitch installed on their machine that protects parameters by prohibiting input, but they can still change tool length offsets and macros without enabling the switch. How you protect those can be set in parameters 3290 and 3291.

The 160i's I'm running on NT are on Heller HMC's. I used to work as a service tech for a machine tool builder that built dial machines and we ran 21i's with Cimplicty on Win2000 Pro. I'm not sure why Fanuc hasn't taken the time to certify their software for XP yet. I'm sure with the popularity of XP and the upcoming release of Vista it will happen sooner or later.

Hopefully that cleared everything up and will be of use.
    Cody Stamper

Thanks

I've worked on a few machines where a CNC was used in a production environment and the operator only had enough knowledge to be dangerous when it comes to changing things. Some of my solutions have been to use the PMC ladder to prevent MDI mode altogether but as mentioned can prevent entry of certain other entries to maintain part quality. Another trick I use is to do all my programing in the 9000 range so i can lock out editing, then lock in only 1 program call say program 1 which calls all my other programs as subroutines. I usually do 3 extra subroutines which check the variables, tool comp data, and work offsets to verify they fall in a fixed range. This way even if the operator makes a typo or wants to move too much the machining portion of my programs would not run. I use the #3000 system variable to display messages "G54 X offset out of range" for example. I also make use of the memory keys to prevent editing as well so even if the operator figures out how to turn on PWE he still can't do much editing of critical things. You could even go so far as to run an 8000 program to reset all the parameters back to original setup. I can't seem to find it in the parameter manual but i believe there is a parameter that shows the state of PWE. It may be possible to do a window write in the PMC ladder holding PWE to a 0.

Thanks

Default Re: password protection for fanuc controls

Wwe do this on our company but there are some skilled operators that know the operation history parameter (OPEHIS) and when they enable the display of this kind of keylogger on the control the figure out the password, and ive checked and seems that the sampling cannot be stoped, just not displayed.

I think i will go with some keyed selector that cannot be bridged, because they open the panel and use some caimans or cable to bridge the keyed selector, they are a little crative jaja.

Thanks

Default Re: password protection for fanuc controls

Quote Originally Posted by codyst View Post
    KenM,

As promised, I guinnea pigged one of my machines to test out parameter 3292. I changed bit 7 to a 1 and when you go to the Offset Setting screen for PWE it automatically changes to a 0. Tried to change 3292 back to zero and got the memory protect error. Tried to change PWE to on, and it changed for a split second and right back to off. In MDI mode I input:
    G10 L50;
    N3292R0000000;(I don't know if you've changed any bit parameters with G10 before, but you have to enter the entire 7 digit string)
    G11;
    CYCLE START

After that I was able to change PWE to ON. So my thoughts were correct, but I just wanted to confirm it before I claimed it as fact. So as long as operators don't actually see you input the code you could protect your parameters with that parameter.

Parameter 3292 bit 7 protects signal G46.0, while your Key switch will normally protect signals G46.3 thru G46.6 G46.5 is the signal that prevents you from inputing data. So if your keyswitch was off, and you went to PWE and pressed "1" input, you would get your alarm saying it was protected. I'm not sure how it would react if you used the "ON" and "OFF" softkeys. My guess is that if you pressed "ON" PWE would turn on, but you would still not be able to change parameters because you have to press the input button. Protecting signal G46.0 with parameter 3292 prevents you from turning on PWE all together. But if you go to your tool length offsets or macro variables, you'd still be able to change them because you aren't protecting the input signal.

I'm sure somone has a keyswitch installed on their machine that protects parameters by prohibiting input, but they can still change tool length offsets and macros without enabling the switch. How you protect those can be set in parameters 3290 and 3291.

The 160i's I'm running on NT are on Heller HMC's. I used to work as a service tech for a machine tool builder that built dial machines and we ran 21i's with Cimplicty on Win2000 Pro. I'm not sure why Fanuc hasn't taken the time to certify their software for XP yet. I'm sure with the popularity of XP and the upcoming release of Vista it will happen sooner or later.

Hopefully that cleared everything up and will be of use.

I tried to use this code, but i get back alarm improper G-code.
    any other options, or other code ?

J4