Thread: hurco utilimax

Thanks

Default hurco utilimax

i am looking at buying a 1991 hurco km3p with utilimax 2 with a max 32 upgrade. exactly what can i and what i cant i do with this machine? i use autocad and have always emailed dxf files to machine shops to make my parts for me. how do i put my files into this unit? do i need a program like mastercam, or is there an easier cheaper way etc????

Thanks

Default Re: hurco utilimax

I have a standard processor (8086) machine with a 4th axis and 31 000 hours on it. I have reground and scraped the ways on X & Y, reballed all the ball screws and put in new ball screw thrust bearings. All of this was done at about 28000 hours. I need to repair the quill as I think my machine chatters to easily. It could really could use the max 32 especially if cutting aluminum and other soft materials. With 3D contouring and feeding in the program with RS232 12"/min feed rate is max. I have heard that the max upgrade will triple your feed rate. The reality is the machine can't handle it that feed rate in deep cuts in steel. I can push a 3/8" tool when it is sharp through 4142 RHc 32 steel. Aluminum a 1/2" tool. Don't expect too much from it with regards to metal removal rates; knee mills are light duty machines. To hold tolerances under 0.001" you have to sort of measure and cut and chip away at it. I have never been able to get bang on size in one pass.

The control has conversational programming which is adequate for most work and fairly easy to use once you start working with it for a while. My machine has a mold package so it can do more complicated 3D shapes. If you are doing complex 3D profiling you may need to down load G code via RS232. I use Rhino to design my stuff and RhinoCAM from Mecsoft to create the toolpath. Tooling is expensive and limited. Tool heights can be a problem especially with tapping because the tools are so long. Z travel is 5" so the difference between your longest and shortest tool limits your actual tool travel for the job. I like my machine. Support from Hurco and Midwest CNC has been very good even though the machine is obsolete.

Good luck with your projects.

Steve

Thanks

Default Re: hurco utilimax

i appreciate the response. i actually decided to man up and bought a haas vf-3. its a few years newer than the hurco was and quite a bit more, but over all i think in the long run was the better choice.